Clear all

Lesson

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@shannon77)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Where can I find a lesson on how to play Stairway to heaven. I have a tab but I can't get any speed no matter how much I practice. Maybe there's some things I could be doing differently that would give me better efficeincy (play faster). I'm a total beginner trying to learn on my own.

Salvation is the best gift that exists and it's free.

(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Don't know if i'll be much help since its only 6 weeks for me but if you just started you can't just start playing led zepelin songs. I would say practice chords and then move slowly between the chords back and forth, back and forth until your speed builds. Check out the basic open chords on this site......here's a link to stairway to heaven chords, beginners usually play chords when they tackle thier first song like me
http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchfile.php?fileid=12073922

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Shannon

On here go to "outa site" lesson links (forum main menu) - I am sure one of the lessons on Planetalk's site is Stairway.

Cheers

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Stairway isn't a beginner-friendly song. You need to do a lot of work on your way up to it.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Stairway isn't a beginner-friendly song. You need to do a lot of work on your way up to it.

Best,

A :-)

I second that. I tried to play the openning bits when I was a month in. I struggled and managed to memorize the first six notes after three days. I gave up and tried six months later, picked up all the first bits within 15 mins.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@shannon77)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

:shock:
I guess I've been learning backwards. I've been focusing only on songs that have finger picking melodys rather than chord strumming type songs. I wanted to learn stuff people would recognise (the cool stuff, you know). Well, now that I know to learn the chordish type songs first, I will. Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Finger picking is a great place to start, it's just that Stairway contains some slightly unusual patterns for the beginner to pick up instantly.

Finger picking keeps your technique strong by forcing you to play every note individually, any mistakes and you're going to hear it clearly, unlike wild strumming, which has a tendency to mask muted strings and shaky fingers.

So keep the technique, find a different song.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Take a look at the House of the Rising Sun lesson. Basic chords with a simple fingerpicking pattern.

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@shannon77)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

:wink: Thanks, It's great. I always thought it sounded like it would be a hard song to learn. I practiced the chords and well it's going great.

ReplyQuote