Clear all

lessons direction

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey all, i'm into my second month of lessons going well slow but steady. seem to be doing chord progressions- and finger exercises combined with finger picking from 1st fret to the 12th. also has me doing arpeggios. i'm playing a steel string does this seem like a pretty normal course path to you guy's.. thanks for your input T.

Cash is cool

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Makes sense. Does your teacher also have you playing songs that use the techniques and progressions you're learning?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

We haven't worked on any songs yet, he plays a classical and the arepeggio thing seem kinda weird being i'm playing a steel string just want to make sure i'm headed in the right direction. i like the guy alot and i know that he knows alot and he seems to have a bunch students...

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member

I hav been wiv my teacher now for bout 2 months. new a few chords before i started wiv him he just mainly been teaching me chords by giving me songs to learn them in and i hav learned a couple of scales, no theory yet. i can only get 1/2 hour sessions as he is booked up. This sound ok to most people or should i be learning more theory :?:

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

We haven't worked on any songs yet, he plays a classical and the arepeggio thing seem kinda weird being i'm playing a steel string just want to make sure i'm headed in the right direction. i like the guy alot and i know that he knows alot and he seems to have a bunch students...

Playing arpeggios is a crucial part of your toolbox. Do you want to learn classical guitar? Being trained in classical will give you an incredible basis and breadth of knowledge. But if you're not necessarily focused on classical, you might at some point want to connect with a teacher who specializes in the styles you're interested in.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It really all depends on where you want to go as a guitarist.
The classical style playing is a great foundation for any fingerstyle playing in general.

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the input guy's-mussen your right you can never have to many tools in that tool box. that being said my teacher gave me a song to work on last night,and we started on reading music 101.... tim

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote