Clear all

Lessons - What Are You Learning?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@colonel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

For those of you who are taking lessons - what did you start with?
I've been taking lessons for about six weeks now and my instructor started right out with barre chords. Right now I'm fairly competent with the major and minor, dominant 7th and minor 7th chords. We've just started working them into some songs to get my brain and my fingers used to the transition from one to another.
It's been frustrating at times but I've loved the challenge. I look forward each day when I get home from work to sitting down and seeing how much more I can accomplish then the day before.
Anybody else start out this way?

Leadership is based on inspiration, not domination; on cooperation, not intimidation.

-- William Arthur Wood

(@greg232)
Estimable Member

My teacher teaches in a different style. We are working on Hotel California. All of the open chords, plus the lead guitar parts. Bends, slides, etc.. It actually keeps me very motivated learning a new song plus working on more advanced techniques. So far I am having a blast.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Barre chords at first lesson sounds a bit risky. I started with a scale of C Major and Greensleeves

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

When I took a few lessons after playing on my own for about 18 months I was also shown the barre chords for the major, minor and 7ths. Along with the chords we worked on my strumming in time.

But my goal was to play rythmn at church and that what I needed because I would never know what key would be comfortable for the singers before hand.

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member

Wish I'd have had a teacher. I completely learnt myself, through books and videos, and it's a hard road to travel. Still, if you learn the hard way, you learn your own way...and that's gotta be a good thing!

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I already had A, Am, E, Em, G, C and D under my belt from a previous attempt to learn guitar. So my first lesson was Teenage Kicks using power chords. To get me playing something recognisable quickly whilst learning about power chords.

Mastered that really quickly so it was then learning the pentatonic scale in all 5 positions. That took a little longer. :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Currently I do two things with my teacher. One is a technical exercise, from arpeggios to scales to double stops etc and the other have is working out songs, seems to work fairly well to break up the boredom of just doing all technical stuff.

I am going to cut back on the song sfor awhile and concentrate on more technical stuff. For some reason it has always been either to improv when I can use the minor pent scale but everytime asong was in a magor key and the minor pent didn't work I was lost so I am working on the major pent at the moment and trying to play along to jam tracks.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote