Notifications
Clear all

Like Father/Like Son???

40 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The TOUGHEST thing I've ever done is being the best father I can be.

Ain't that the truth.

I've seen having children described as "Both the Best and the Worst thing you'll ever do...." and that's probably pretty close to accurate. :wink:

Oddly enough, learning music seems to run having kids a close second, as both can involve jumping on a roller coaster ride whose highs and lows can take your breath away. Both also seem to demand twice as many hours in the day as one actually gets... If only life came equipped with a pause button, rewind, overdub and a decent mixer.... :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The TOUGHEST thing I've ever done is being the best father I can be.

Ain't that the truth.

I've seen having children described as "Both the Best and the Worst thing you'll ever do...." and that's probably pretty close to accurate. :wink:

Oddly enough, learning music seems to run having kids a close second, as both can involve jumping on a roller coaster ride whose highs and lows can take your breath away. Both also seem to demand twice as many hours in the day as one actually gets... If only life came equipped with a pause button, rewind, overdub and a decent mixer.... :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Chris

Yeah, it'd be nice to go back, erase the mistakes you made....except if I did that, I'd miss out on the one daughter I truly love. The first two were born in wedlock, out of love.....and they're the biggest pair of mercenaries, excepting their mother, I've ever met in my life. Wouldn't give you the time of day unless you bought them a Rolex. My youngest daughter, on the other hand....she was a mistake, born out of a one-night stand. I stuck with her mother for two years, then couldn't stand it any longer and left - and I got custody. For the next ten years I was a single parent - and I willingly went without, so that she wouldn't have to.

Not long ago, I split up with my partner of the last ten years - who put me up? Yep, you got it, the same daughter I'd brought up as a single dad. I'm skint, flat broke, can't get a job, and can't claim any benefits - but that daughter's kept me going for the last few weeks, and given me a place to stay. She's bought my drinks and cigarettes, and treated me whenever she could. I said to her, "I hate sponging off you like this" - she said, "well, you're my dad and you'd do the same for me - you always have done."

What can you say to that?

Mind you, when she has a party - which is about once a week - all her mates think it's pretty cool that she's got a dad who can play guitar, who'll pick up said guitar at the drop of a hat (or even before) and sing for his supper, and even lend one of said mates a guitar (but NOT the Tele!) so we can jam together.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

What can you say to that?

Sounds like King Lear with a much happier ending. :wink: You're both very lucky, Vic.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Dunno about King Lear - but I've married a couple of witches in my time.......they were sneaky though, didn't wear the pointy hats!

All part of the great melting pot/cauldron of life.

Ah well, you learn from your mistakes - eventually.........

Eye of newt, wing of bat, E-shaped barres, the dread Bb,
Page's fingers, Clapton's ear, Jimi's whammy, BB's tears,
Lennon's voice and Bruce's bass, Duane's slide, McCartney's face,
Stir together, what you got? It's rock'n'roll, in that pot!

(Add evil cackles and as many muahahahahaha's as you like for effect.....)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm of a mind...and I'd like to ASK FOR OPINIONS...that it's really a battle of US not passing on the CRAP that was laid on us when WE were children???

My boys can NEVER conjure up me hittin' 'em even if they live to be 100...but they SURE have pushed me close at times!

But there's always been (for us here on GN...and it unites us) the solace of them thar six strings...

If anything, no matter what my guys end up doing...at the very least I want to instil in them that "there's always yer guitar, kid!" If I can do that...then I'll know I was a good dad.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow Vic! Thats some story. Sounds like you daughter is really something. She must take after her old man. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Wow Vic! Thats some story. Sounds like you daughter is really something. She must take after her old man. :wink:

+1

Good family are worth their weight in gold, whichever way it cuts.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So, okay..."hear" I am after listening to one kid (14) play...I'm in a quandry. He's actually "beyond" that old Harmony six string. He thinks it's him...I know it's the guitar. He's all over it...free-forming his chording sensibly...then zipping over those same improvs with the right-sounding single string work...bottom up, top down, and sideways. He's "there" I would say. REAL shaky and...hilarious, actually. But his brain's all over his music. He's 14 and THAT's heavy duty, I think.

Found a great Ibanez six string...but...my OTHER kid (16) just went over (and over and over and OVER) the idea he needs a new bass. Nope...he ain't outplaying his instument by any stretch. I said no.

Geez...c'mon Dad's! Chris!!!!

How do I get by this???

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm - tough one, Cat. IMO, the only way you're going to find out is to take him to the music shop and let him try a few different basses. If you can't tell any difference in his playing, fair enough - but if he sounds better, or even more enthusiastic, with a different bass, it might be time to bite the bullet and fork out.

I'm presuming that, as an experienced musician, you'll have checked the set-up, intonation etc of the bass he's using? I know when I bought my first bass, I was quite happy with it - but then I'd never played bass before. Then another forum member - Darth Ordinary - bought the exact same bass I had off e-bay, and when I tried his, I was staggered at the difference - it had been properly set up, which mine obviously hadn't.

Best of luck, anyway!

vic

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanx, Vic...but he's still to have that "fire in the belly". His bass kit is GREAT...but he's more into Playstation than anything else.

He's off for a week with his school looking over Sydney, Canberra (seat of gov't) and then off into the snow fields. Before he left I told him the facts of "band life":

1> sooner or later the guys he jams with will ease him out if he cannot cut it;
2> his bass playing will get him laid.

So I said he could have ANY bass he so desires...if he skips TV (etc) for the next month...and learns the bass patterns I want him to learn.

Maybe leaving it "up to him" is where it's at??? I dunno. It was a whole lot easier when all's I had to do was change a diaper and hoist him up on my shoulders!

Cat

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3