Clear all

Looking for a teacher

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been teaching myself to play for just under a month now, using mainly online resources.

On many of the sites and forums I've been studying, getting a teacher is advised. Now, I can see the advantages, and can afford the cost, but sadly cannot find a good teacher in my area (mostly part time students looking for extra money, whose teaching method involves showing you cool stuff).

What do you guys think? Can I do without a teacher? I've managed to be pretty disciplined (playing an hour+ per day doing exercises as well as fun stuff), but I don't really know enough to know what I'm doing wrong or decide on exercises to overcome my weaknesses.

I've also read about correspondance courses. Any thoughts?

(@alangreen)

Hmmm. Correspondence courses involve a lot of self discipline and self-teaching (this from my Institute of Bankers studies many years back). Far better to look for a decent teacher, IMHO.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey theGrimm,

I to am just starting out (again) and I am doing it without a teacher (except for the internet!)...my goal is to get as far as I can without a teacher, learning all the basics like chords, scales, and whatever else I can do myself. I am even toying with some simple riffs to keep me motivate.

Way back when when I tried playing before I got a teacher and he was just showing me chords and stuff but that was before the internet. Knowing how to use the resources on the net can take you farther than most books can....since they are more up to date and there is usually a contact person that you can ask about a particular lesson you are trying to learn.

Why pay a teacher to teach those things when they are basic enough? I know eventually I will need a teacher to learn more music theory and intricate stuff but for now I think I am good. Plus the people here on this forum seem to be very helpful and are good at explaining things.

Plus, since I am a teacher myself (elementary phys ed teacher) when summer vacation is over I can just ask our music teacher to show me a few things...!

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member

I am just learning to play and I am taking lessons. One thing my teacher does for me that you can't really get without a teacher is that he watches me while I play and points out to me things I am doing incorrectly with my technique. Sometimes it will be something I know I shouldn't do, but I made a mistake. Other times he spots something I didn't know was wrong and points it out to me.

I would suggest you keep trying. I taught myself for a little bit and I learned very little. I feel like my progress is going nicely now that I have a teacher to work with.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Teachers can be great. Look around town and talk a couple different teachers, it can be frustrating to find a good teacher that knowns how to teach well and not just play guitar.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Hi theGrimm,

I have been teaching myself for about six months, but recently found myself a good teacher, and have already noticed a massive improvement in my playing. A good teacher will not only help you but should be stretching your ability as well.

I found if something was too hard or just too akward I would go do something else. When your teacher sets you something like that, you keep working at it to get it right. After all you don't want to waste you hard earned cash do you?

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

In my opinion, if a good teacher is hard to find now and you've got good alternative resources (internet, books etc) and can discipline yourself to do the excercises, then by all means dive in (for now). Take note of the common mistakes that beginners make (they're mentioned in a lot of beginner lessons) and try to stay away from them. You can get a long way through the basics by yourself - but to get to the "next level" a good teacher is priceless.

By then you should have a good idea of where you want to go with you playing and can contribute more to your learning than having someone run you through pre-formated drills. Of course you can always learn things quicker from having someone show you the right way so better if you know someone who can play. Having said all that, if money is not an issue, you can just start off with one of the average teachers while you search for a better one....

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You can learn online too.Well , unless you don't want to be next jimi henrdrix , or andres segovia or steve vai etc.Its good to have a teacher , but its better to have none at all , if they can do nothing but teach you 3 chord and tuning , no theory and inspire you.

For internet resourses , check out lessons at ,

http://www.guitar.about.com
http://www.blackbeltguitar.com
http://www.cyberfret.com
http://www.classicalguitar.com

They are really good and must help you.
Best of luck 8)

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

Goto your local music shops, find the oldest people there and ask who is a good teacher. That's what i did and couldn't be happier with my teacher. I when first talking to him ask him how he would start a beginner, if that's how you think you'd like to learn hire him.

What I find my teacher is good for is theory, direction, and telling me what I'm doing wrong and howto do it properly. And the ablity to ask questions in a conversational manner. fourms and internet sites are great, but they aint human.

-
The computer can't tell you the
emotional story. It can give you
the exact mathematical design, but
what's missing is the eyebrows.
- Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

There isnt a real right or wrong answer on this. A good teacher can give you structure, give you a small audience to try things out on, show you mistakes, etc.

That said, some of the best guitarist I have known were self instructed.

I am using a teach right now.. But I took a month off from him a while back and was amazed (he was too) when I went back and it all seemed eaiser.

People were playing guitar long before there were two or three music shops in every city with 4 or 5 teachers in each shop. They didnt have the internet either.. Just the want and will to play and learn and have fun.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote