Notifications
Clear all

looking for the right combination of beginners books

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@laymandonald)
Topic starter  

i am a beginner and right now i am looking for the right combination of books to improve my basic skills for the moment i spend roughly 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day practicing and i currently use the following books
1. mel bays guitar method books 1-5
2 berklee complete guitar method
3.mi complete rhythm guitar
4. total scales and technique
5. music theory
right now i am trying to focus on building a solid understanding of basic guitar skills and techniques and will eventually focus all my attention on blues and rock styles. any solid feed back would be well appreciated

(@alangreen)

I think at this point some time in the company of a decent teacher would be money better spent than any more books.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

+1 to finding a good teacher, but some other books to consider:

1. David Hodge's Idiot's Guide to Rock Guitar
2. Troy Stetina's Total Rock Guitar
3. John Ganape's Blues You Can Use

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@laymandonald)
Topic starter  

i like to get a teacher unfortuantly at this time i work as a industrial electrician and neither have the time nor the money to really sit down and take lessons from a teacher so i basically use books to teach myself

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

As someone who has acquired many books in the first 6 months of attempting to play the guitar, there are a couple that I've found useful:-

From Zero to Rock Hero - good coverage of the basics

I've also just got 10 minute guitar work out by David Mead, which is also very good, the explanations are excellent, and you have some structured practice sessions different levels, which I've found very useful, as I'm all to easily distracted by playing my favourite riffs.

I'm also waiting for a copy of David Hodges Idiots Guide to Rock Guitar to arrive too, which I'm hoping will also be very good :D

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

And if Money is tight, you can check your local public library. I have found a lot of music there (6 week loans should give you time to decide if a book will be worth buying your own copy)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote