Clear all

Loss of velocity using some techniques

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a bit of a weird problem here. I can do hammer-on/pull-offs OK, and I can slide OK. But when the action is down the string (towards the headstock), I lose volume very quickly.

My ascending slides sound great; my descending slides die out after 2 or 3 frets. Likewise, my hammer-ons are usually fine, and sometimes my first pull-off is OK as well, if it's the first move. But any pull-off I do that isn't the first in the series is very hard to hear, as (of course) are any subsequent h-o/p-o moves without at least one pick to get the volume back up.

Is this a common problem with a workable fix, or am I just weird? (This isn't necessarily an either/or question :wink: )

(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I think the problem is common. I can't get the same volume from a HO/PO as I do a picked note, so doing a series of them just results in less and less volume. I put it down to practice myself, but hopefully there's a nice answer waiting for you! (and me!) :)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I .

My ascending slides sound great; my descending slides die out after 2 or 3 frets.

With descending slides, you need to make sure you're keeping the string pressed down. It's very easy to just lighten up and all of a sudden your finger goes over the fret and your string is in a straight line from the bridge to your fingertip which will damp it.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Nothing strange with that, it's physics.
The closer you get to the anchor point (nut or bridge) of the string, the more force it takes to move the string.
The same thing happens when you pick very close to the bridge. You have to pick harder to get the same loudness.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

A compressor would help to even out the volume of those descending pulloffs in addition to adding sustain . Something to try .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote