Clear all

Major minor (Need something else !!)

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It has been some time since i posted in this forum (new topic i mean) but i really feel myself stuck in the webs of Major minor barre chords.

I want to learn newer type of chords (like sus4 , sus2 , 6th , 7th , 9th , 13th and more ) so that i can bring a lot more sounds into my playing.Now i know if you say look into a chord dictionary i have done that but it never helps.

So how can i learn and use these type of new chords (to me) in the playing.

I am utterly confused :oops: :oops: help :(

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might read:

Guide to Chord Formation, Building Additions and Suspensions, and Extended Chords.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Rahul,

I don't know how useful or good this advice is. But I've found it fun anyway. When I asked a friend a similar question he suggested that reasonable place to begin was to start swapping out chords with their 7 version and see how it sounded.

Take a progression you already play and then change one and see how it sounds. Does it sound darker, more bluesy, create a bit more tension, or what? Just fiddle about and get a feel for it.

So instead of playing D, A, G try D, A7, G and see what difference it makes. Swap any or all of them and see what happens. Play E A D E then E A7 D7 E or... whatever... zillions of options.

There are several variations for most chords, but all the basic majors have a 7 chord that is not all that hard. Here's just one version of each.

A7 x02020
B7 x21202
C7 x32310
D7 xx0212
E7 020100
F7 xx1211
G7 320001

That C7 isn't strictly a C7 (it's missing a G) but it's the shape given as C7 in all the books.

Hope that's the sort of thing you're after.

Cheers Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Couple of tips I've picked up.....

More than a couple of bars of the same major chord can get boring, try spicing it up by alternating maj/sus4, or turn it into a blues shuffle....maj/6/7/6 maj/6/7/6....

If you're playing a lot of major chords, try substituting a min7th....Am7 instead of C, Dm7 instead of F (the root of the major 3 semitones lower...)

Use pedal points....instead of playing G/Em/C/D like this,

.......E..A..D..G..B..E

G....3..2...0..0..0...3
Em..0..2..2...0..0...0
C....x..3..2...0..1...0
D....x..0..0...2..3...2

try it like this....

.......E..A..D..G..B..E

G....3..2...0..0..3...3
Em..0..2..2...0..0...3
C....x..3..2...0..1...3
D....x..0..0...2..3...3

The D becomes a Dsus4, but what the hell....

you could even do that with your pinkie and 3rd finger on the 3rd frets of the first and second strings....I used that in a song, seemed to work just fine...but that makes the sequence G/Em7/Cadd9/Dsus4....

Try substituting a 9th for a 7th, especially at the end of a chord sequence where a chord is left hanging, or unresolved.....

Or a 7sus4 instead of a 7th.....

Above all else, don't be afraid to experiment!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

But don't the famous player play strange type of chords (never known even to the gods :lol: ) to get their tradmark sounds :?:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Also , if you want to learn different chords , is it really necessary to learn theory , I have tried but i always get lost in the notes.it seems really tough and sometimes bizzare.I can't get what are intervals , harmonics and all the other musical hibachi. :lol: .

Do we really have to pay time to music theory to be better than a 3 chord guitarist :(

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

No you don't. It'll make everything a LOT easier though.

The famous guitarists? Like who... Guys like Clapton, Townshend, Keith Richards, they use pretty simple chords.

It's more the unfamous players, or the jazz players that are using more complex chords.

A lot of the chords you play can have their sound altered just by taking off your pinky, or putting it somewhere else.

You can go from an A barre chord, to an A7, to an Am7, all without really moving your hand too much.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

No, you don't need to play "exotic" chords to get a trademark sound. That might be part of the style of any given player but doesn't need to be.

Yes, you do need to learn a bit of theory to understand chord construction. And that will come in time. But if you want to get a start, try this article:

Basic Music Theory. It's a good start and shows you how to understand basic chord construction.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I think unless you're interested in playing jazz or fusion or something like that, don't worry too much about complex chords or exotic scales (modes and other weird scales), sure you can learn them but if you can't find a use for them then really whats the point? Just something to think about, because I know I'd rather study theory and harmony rather then complex scales/chords, but that's my style.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I know what are you saying but still i can't figure out all the sounds when i am figuring a song by ear.The major minor and various other just don't fit and then comes out some weird kind of chord.

Basically i want to achieve this -

Figure out any song by ear by playing its chords.(i wonder if someone can do that :oops: )

ReplyQuote