Major Scale Steps

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 J123
(@j123)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If the major scale goes W-W-H-W-W-W-H how does it make sense that the intervals are counted 1-2-3-4-5-6-7?

What I don't understand is when counting the intervals each number is evenly spaced from the next 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on. But the actual realationship based the whole and half steps is note evenly spaced. Logically I would have understood if the intervals were counted with flats to indicate the half step?

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

It's not the intervals that are counted as 1, 2, 3, etc. it's the scale notes or degrees. It just means the first note of the scale, the second note of the scale, the third note, etc. It doesn't refer to the spaces (intervals) between the notes.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Correctomundo - and intervals are the gaps between individual notes; A to C# being a Major 3rd as it's two whole tones, and A to C natural being a minor third because it's a whole step to B and a half-step to C, for example. You include both ends.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 J123
(@j123)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, that was very helpful thank you!

So lets say we have an A major scale. I assume the B dorian scale would be played using the same fingering as the A major position. But since the notes are B C# D E F# G# would those still be counted as 1, 2, 3, 4...... or would it start as 2,3,4.....?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Neither.

All scales start with '1' (called the 'tonic' - it's home base for the scale). But all other scale steps are numbered in relation to the major scale; that shows you the differences.

The Dorian would be numbered 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote