8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I have many little questions...

1- The pick
Many different kind of pick are available at the guitar shop... I got like 10 picks when I bought my guitar and I was wondering... Does a song can be played "better" with a certain kind of pick? Or you just have to be comfortable with it? Is there any songs that need a thiner pick to be like the original?

I don't really like thin picks... Right now, I use some little pick from Jim Dunlop, smaller than the normal pick.. I'm confortable with it, but like I said, I wonder if it's better to use a thiner pick for some songs

2- The cable
Does the cable affect the sound of the guitar and the amp? Does a better cable can produce a better sound in the amp?

3- How does the weight of the cords affect the sound of the guitar?

Thanks, I'm just curious about that... :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

1. Picks do affect tone, but it's not the only factor... and it's one of the smaller ones. Go ahead and experiment with different ones for different songs - but also try to vary the sound you get from ONE pick; that'll help you develop your own sound.

2. In theory a cable can affect the sound. But theory can't be heard - high end cables are generally no better to the ear than moderately priced ones. A bad cable will give you bad sound, though.

3. It doesn't. Again, in theory there are some effects of conductor mass (and other factors like copper crystal size, "skin effect", etc) that are releated more or less to cable size. But in my experience these aren't actually heard.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Just to add a comment about your second question. I buy good quality cables with a ridiculous warranty. Not for the sound though. It's because I was going through cables like crazy. This is one thing NOT to skimp on, as cheap cables will cost you time and money down the road.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just to add a comment about your second question. I buy good quality cables with a ridiculous warranty. Not for the sound though. It's because I was going through cables like crazy. This is one thing NOT to skimp on, as cheap cables will cost you time and money down the road.

I'll second that. I bought some Planet Waves cables a couple of years ago - use a couple regularly, day in, day out. I have a couple of spares for emergencies, always take them with me.....better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them. It's one thing I never worry about.

As for picks - I hate them. I don't use them if I can possibly help it, but again I always have a couple handy just in case I break my index finger nail. Better to have, etc. Besides, I find I can get more subtle variations using my finger.

I've been told recently, you should always unwind cables fully, whether it's the electricity supply to your amp or a guitar lead - apparently it's safer. I've always though it'd be safer to have as little wire out as possible - less chance of falling over one! Any thoughts on that, anyone?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'll second that. I bought some Planet Waves cables a couple of years ago
+1

I had a very bad experience with a very cheap cable which was recommended to me by a "salesman" (around 3€). It sounded very bad, a lot of noise. I bought a Planet Waves (24€). Really, we are trying to reduce the cost in the weak part (probably it is minor to a 5% of the total cost fo your gear) and the cable can be used for all your guitars and amps and, in normal conditions, for a lot of years.

On picks. Probably I had around 40 or 50 picks. Usually I buy picks in all the stores (here or when I was traveling, if I find a music store, I come in, see the instruments and buy some picks). People also give me picks as gifts. Each one has a sound and feeling different. Use also your fingers, they also have a sound different.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

An important tip about the cable or cord: Never let it hang from your guitar jack as you play. That's where problems with the guitar jack come from. Plus, it's easy to disconnect yourself. You can buy cable hangers, but the easiest thing to do is to run the cable between the guitar body and strap from behind, then turn it around and plug it in. The cable's weight hangs from the strap, which can easily take it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all teh replie!
An important tip about the cable or cord: Never let it hang from your guitar jack as you play. That's where problems with the guitar jack come from. Plus, it's easy to disconnect yourself. You can buy cable hangers, but the easiest thing to do is to run the cable between the guitar body and strap from behind, then turn it around and plug it in. The cable's weight hangs from the strap, which can easily take it.

Ok, even if I'm sitting on a chair?

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. Even sitting in a chair you'll probably move around enough to make the cable swing, which rotates the plug in the jack and loosens the jack. I thread my cable through the strap when I'm sitting, but I use the strap. If not using a strap, make sure to route your cable so it's not hanging directly from the jack.

Don't let a bunch of keys and stuff hang from your car key in the ignition switch, either. It'll leave you stranded some day when the swinging weight messes up your ignition switch.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote