Notifications
Clear all

Matching hands to guitar?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@frostywhisper)
Topic starter  

I have recently been honored with a gift from my youngsters of an Acoustic / electric guitar (Esteban from TV) seeing how I have never played before this seems to do all the basics I would need to learn however the more I practice the more it feels like my fingers get in the way or other notes / chords so my question is Does the size of your hand matter in selecting a guitar? Are there guitars that will work with short fat fingers? or am I going to have to put them on a rack and stretch them :) ? I guess the other thought would be.... maybe it just me

(@gosurf80)
Eminent Member

There are definitely different shapes, sizes, scale lengths of guitar. Finding one that is comfortable for you is a good idea, but I think you'll find over time, your fingers will get used to doing new things and will gradually become stronger and more flexible.

Good luck- and most of all- have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Exactly! I have small hands, and short fingers. But I can play just about any guitar out there. The secret is in the positioning of the thumb behind the fretboard. Don't let it hang over the top, in fact, don't let it get anywhere near the top. Sometimes you won't even be able to keep it in the middle, you'll find it practically at the bottom of the fretboard (like you're holding it up almost). I guess the main thing to remember is that the thumb plays a major part in how your hand frets the notes/chords. If, with shorter fingers, you hold it with thumb at the top, it's likely that you're going to be mutiing at the very least the high e string, and probably the B string as well. That's why the middle of the neck is the best place to start. If I have to play something like a walking bass line, played on the E, A and D strings, my thumb is at the bottom of the neck to allow me the reach to comfortably do that walking bass line, but also allow my hand the room to arch over all of the other strings so I don't wind up muting one or two.

Hope that makes sense! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Exactly! I have small hands, and short fingers. But I can play just about any guitar out there. The secret is in the positioning of the thumb behind the fretboard. Don't let it hang over the top, in fact, don't let it get anywhere near the top. Sometimes you won't even be able to keep it in the middle, you'll find it practically at the bottom of the fretboard (like you're holding it up almost). I guess the main thing to remember is that the thumb plays a major part in how your hand frets the notes/chords. If, with shorter fingers, you hold it with thumb at the top, it's likely that you're going to be mutiing at the very least the high e string, and probably the B string as well. That's why the middle of the neck is the best place to start. If I have to play something like a walking bass line, played on the E, A and D strings, my thumb is at the bottom of the neck to allow me the reach to comfortably do that walking bass line, but also allow my hand the room to arch over all of the other strings so I don't wind up muting one or two.

Hope that makes sense! :D
Heh heh, I just wish my technique was that good!! Curse my wretched long slim fingers...

To the OP - the problems you're experiencing are partly just because you're new to guitar. I've never come across someone just starting out on the guitar who hasn't had the problems you describe. The good thing is they will soon go away provided you make an effort to fret properly, so the string you play ring out fully. One day, you'll be playing and fretting properly will be second nature to you; you wont even think about it. Keep at it!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Mostly the issue is beginner's lack of skillset.

But string spacing IS a factor that affects developing skills. My niece's Epiphone acoustic has a very narrow neck and string spacing. I just about can't play it and could never have learned on it. 1 and 3/4" nut width on MY guitar is lovely.

I have relatively thick fingers.

So don't dismiss the ergonomics required.

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@frostywhisper)
Topic starter  

Thanks all for the Post .. I made a quick trip to a local guitar store and was given similar input as well as being told that I must try to sit and hold the guitar correctly. Being new to the guitar I was looking more at the strings while forcing the guitar flat which was not allowing me to position my hands correctly. With everyones advice I was able to play some of the chord / notes better and now I am pretty convince a teacher is a good way to go. Until then I think I have been pointed in the correct directions

Thanks again

ReplyQuote