Skip to content
may not sound like ...

Notifications
Clear all

may not sound like a "beginner's" question . . .

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am fascinated with Jimmy Page's guitar work. But one thing that I really love is when he uses a violin bow to play the guitar. I've tried to emulate that style by playing an electric with some sort of echo (I'm not an effects expert), and just hitting a chord really fast, muting it, and letting it echo a little bit. But I would love to learn how to slide something slowly across the strings like a bow (not with an actual slide on your finger). Does anyone have any simple ideas on how to copy this style? I figure you would tune the guitar to an open chord, but what would I use as a bow? Any ideas, no matter how crazy (as long as they don't hurt the guitar) would be much appreciated.

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

u wanna try something cool, doesnt really sound like the bow I don't think but take an electric nail file that spins around and hold it just above the pickups

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Do you want the sound or the experience of bowing? If it's just the sound, use a volume pedal to create swells or buy an eBow.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

The hardest part of playing violin is on how to use the bow so it takes alot of practice also a good bow cost close to $300.00 so a good bow gives better sound they are made from horses hair.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Do you want the sound or the experience of bowing?

I want to be able to do it just like Page does it on all the Zeppelin footage I've seen. And that ebow looks pretty expensive and I think I'm short a nail file :( Any other ideas?

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The ebow costs less than $100, even less on ebay (if one comes up, that is).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@warriorl111)

yes i would go with an ebow i was checking one out in an edition of Guitar One i have.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

This'll sound really weird...but try a plastic coat hanger. I have, it works reasonably well, but not nearly as much as a real bow. You'll have to press really hard to get it to make some noise by drawing the bottom of the hanger across the strings. But bouncing it across the strings works very well.

If you don't have it allready, I HIGHLY recomend you buy the self titled Led Zeppelin concert DVD. There's three examples of his bowing techniques on the first disk that'll help you on your way, too.

The steel strings will tend to fray the horse hair on the bow, so don't go spending lots of money on one. Go buy a "pawn-shop special" bow for 20 bucks or so, and go get some rosin at a violin shop. The rosin is goop that makes the bow sticky and creates the sound.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote