Notifications
Clear all

Silly beginner's question

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mbthomas)
Topic starter  

OK, I've been looking at tab and standard notation for a little while today. My question is, how do you know where to play (i.e., which string) a note using standard notation? For example, in one instance I see the D note (located directly under the staff) played as an open D string (the 4th string), and another time I'll see it played on the fifth fret of the A string. I realize that both of these positions produce the same sound. My question is how do I know which place to go to? Is it based on proximity of the preceding and following notes?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes exaclty.
I try to start in the first position when possible (1st 2nd 3rd 4th frets) but sometimes have to move up the neck to play a certain series of notes, pull offs ect..
Example. I was playing a Bach piece a while back. it had a pull off from E top space to D second line from top.
When played in the first position the E and D where on 2 seperate strings so I had to move up the neck and play the E on the second string 5th fret instead.
One advantage to playing in the 1st position is you can take advantage of open strings when those notes are called for.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Doesn't have to do with the key the piece was written in?

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I don't imagine the key would be a factor as all the flats and sharps are available anywhere you play.

ReplyQuote
(@armistice)

mbthomas - no two notes of the same pitch make the same sound when played in different places on a guitar - that's the bit you're missing.

You have to understand where the piece is generally being played and work from there, but an open string sounds different to a fretted string and the sound you get depends on whether the next note is on the same string or a different one.

Having tab as well, you are told, if not, you can usually tell from a recording of someone else playing the piece. Of course, you may disagree and prefer to do it your way.

That's the beauty of the guitar.

Luck

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

It doesn't matter too much where you play it. You have to look at the overall piece to see what the highest and lowest notes are. As a general guideline, I try everything near the 5th fret first, and then adjust.

The issue with tabs (other than errors), is that you may still find it easier to play at a different string/fret location.

The part above about tone is correct, but don't let it force you unless you really want your tone to be close to exact to the recording.

When possible, I find books that have both the tab and standard notations. Sometimes, I'll mark up the tab section to match how I prefer to play.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member

Let a complete newbie step up with an answer that might help. I am a former trombone player who often used many alternate positions and trigger combinations in songs that most players would not think to try. What would cause me to use a non-standard position when playing? The note right before or after it, or a combination thereof. I would base what position I used on where I was was coming from and where I was going to. Now, I have not yet learned any of the secrets to the guitar, and am a long way from ever worrying about playing anything fast. But, I think that this will be a similar thing between the guitar and trombone (probably the only thing similar between the two, really). You and I likely will have to learn all the various fingerings possible for each note in order to learn how to play more quickly and smoothly. If this were not the case, there would never be any point in moving beyond the fifth fret on any but the 1st string, right?

Seagull M6 Gloss

ReplyQuote