Clear all

Mel Bays Modern Guitar Methond Vol 1

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@twisted_man)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a question. In this book it shows how to play single notes and how to read the music. What is the difference between this and tab. Why do i have to learn this when i can look at TAB and it shows me which notes to play. Like i also got a Jimi Hendrix book with his songs in it. It shows the 3 parts. It shows the two clefs and then Tab. Is that just another way to read the music, and if so what is the point? I dont know if anyone will understand this question, but if you know what im talking about please respond.

(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

Im sure some of the folks here can give you a more detailed explanation but here goes my 2 cents worth.

In Mel Bays book (as well as other methods) he is using standard notation. Standard notation is the universal language of music. It crosses all music instrument from piano to bass, guitar, trumpet, violin, etc.

What it does that tab generally does not do is give you more information about the music. Time signature (i.e. 4/4, 3/4, etc.), Key signatures (A, Bb, C#, etc.), tempo, etc.

Yes tab tells you what string to play at what fret, hammer-on's, etc. If you have heard the song before tab is an ok way to learn the basics of the song. The beauty of standard notation is that if you read it and understand it well someone can hand you a piece of music and without ever hearing the music you can get a good understanding of the song and be able to dig right into it.

Personally I use both. Tab is readilly available and pretty easy to understand. If I have heard the music before I can get up to speed with it pretty well.
I still like to have standard notation because to gives me so much more information. With a good piece of sheet music that has chord diagrams with it me and my son can work out guitar and bass parts pretty easily.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote