Clear all

metal improvisation

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi agin :D ! I have a bit of a problem: wenever i try to improvise metal, it just ends up sounding bluesy. How do u imp. metal???

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

(@alangreen)

Try playing it three frets down the neck - making minor major - and ramp up the distortion.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Three frets lower than wha> I accually meant that whatever i play just sounds bluesy(nit that im unhappy bout it), but when it comes to heavy metal, it just sounds like blues.

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Maybe speed it up? When I play bluesy type stuff it is usally slow.

I would try speeding it up and maybe double or triple some of the notes.

Good luck and have fun with it.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Maybe try some thicker strings... I use ernie ball's slinky... cant remember exactly which size but they're the second fattest they make. Adds a good crunch to your playing, also try to learn pinch harmonics, they can add a very metalic sound to your solo improv's...

Here is a site that tells the technique, it's very hard to master but once u get the hang of it you'll love it.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/38/1

There is a good example of pinch harmonics on pantera's cemetery gates. And listen to what tracker say's.. I've noticed metal solo's like to cram allot of notes in each bar. Play around with your hammer and pull-offs as well.

Good Luck!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

While strings will change the sound, its more your playing style that will do it.

Do some fast runs, trill picking, sweeping, and wide vibrato. I'm not a metal player, but that should help I'd imagine.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Best I can figure is to crank the distortion and instead of ending on a note and using vibrato, pull a nice big ol' bend, and don't be afraid to use some non-bluesy stuff (different scales, chromatic scales, etc.)

Keep true to your roots, but give it some edge, man!

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

you gotta learn your theory. best thing to do is take one of your favorite metal solos, analyze like REALLY in depth. wat scales were used. how were the notes arranged. wat patterns were repeated. wat techniques.....
for example, kirk hammett likes to use lots of triplets and he does lots of arpeggios and picked out triads, then he repeats the riff really fast many times. then puts in fill work until he reaches a new riff

ReplyQuote