Clear all

Metronome

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I see that alot of people are suggesting to practice with a metronome. I've tried practicing with a metronome a few times and I actually play alot more diciplined with it (not just in my rythm but I tend to be more accurate in getting clear notes and chords to for some reason). My only concern is that i will become dependant on the metronome, so my question is, will my "internal" rythm become more reliable or will I become dependant on the metronome if I use it to mutch?

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Your own rhythm will improve.
Tap for foot along with the metronome.
You will find that after a while you can use your foot tapping as a way of keeping tempo.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

You won't be dependent on it to play. But you'll come to see it as a necessity for proper practice. Much like proper posture and lighting are necessities for proper practice. After you do it for a few years, you'll be able to spot the musicians that do it, and the one's that don't. You'll stop wanting to play with the one's that don't.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I'm glad I got over my dislike of a metronome...after 5 months I started using it ( 3 weeks ago) now I notice I don't speed up and slow down through a song but keep a steady pace (although some songs I still have some trouble with) The strum patterns I practice between 70 and 100 bpm and songs between 60 and 70 usually depending on the song. If I turn it off and play a song it sounds better so I don't feel dependent on it

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

I also dislike the dreaded Metronome , but the metronome offers alot more than it takes away . keep with it and have faith your style will be enhanced by the use of it .

keep up the practising

cheers
L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@beetleman)

The metronome is a great tool, I use it quite often. but recently I purchased a drum kit for my daughter :wink: (yeah right) :wink: and I have been messing around with it and found that my rhythm has improved tenfold, BTW I use the metronome with the kit as well, theres nothing worse than a drummer not drumming in time.

ReplyQuote
 dnc
(@dnc)

I have been teaching myself to play for the last couple of months (I did take a break for a couple of weeks, I got a couple of new XBox games that took my attention) but I don't really know what people tal kabout when they refer to practicing with a metronome. I understand what it does just not how to use it when practicing. Rhythm has been a huge problem for me though.

Thanks, Caleb

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Start with something easy -- playing scales for example, and try to play with each note on the metronome beat.

Then turn it around, playing each scale on the off-beat with a rest on the beat.

Then try 2 notes per beat.

Then try a syncopated rhythym, with a dotted note on the beat.

Then try a syncopated rhythym with the dotted note on the off-beat.

Start slowly, say at 60 bpm, and increase the speed up to about 120 bpm.

After you can do all your basic scales flawlessly in all these ways up to 120bpm, start doing things like arpeggios, and various licks using the metronome to keep the rhythm.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote