Clear all

Metronome encouragement for beginners

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A couple of people have mentioned recently how :twisted: the metronome is for beginners, so I want to offer some encouragement.

Until very recently I haven't had the courage to use the metronome in practice; songs or sequences I felt I could play wonderfully fell apart under the influence of that diabolical metronome!

Indeed, as soon as I turned the ticker on, it felt as if all my concentration was needed to keep time. In FACT, I was becoming convinced that my metronome was preprogrammed to be OUT OF TIME on purpose.

When I lost the beat, I'd have to break for an entire measure before I could begin to play again, and would rarely get more than a half measure further before it would begin again.

Sure, I could keep time somewhat with a simply DDDD strumming pattern with one strum per beat, but anything tricker than that was a recipe for disaster.

Fortunately, constant encouragement on this site "to practice, practice, practice" eventually led me to spend an hour forcing myself to use the metronome (curses upon it!). And suddenly, last night, I found myself able to adjust my playing to fit in with the timing. While I wasn't able to keep time perfectly, I was able to adjust my playing without stopping to fit into the time set by the metronome

Guys (gender neutral version applied), if you've never played with a metrenome because it's too evil. Repent of your wicket ways! Soon, it will be your friend, your slave. Your brain will take care of the details, and you can take care of the music.

Oh, and when you play with someone, they won't shout at you for being a hopeless timing-retard.

(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

they won't shout at you for being a hopeless timing-retard.

Lol, that's seithing with resentment =P I totally agree, even if you just practicing picking techniques with a metronome it'll help with your sense of timing.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

Here's a technique I learned myself to help play in time with something fast or with a difficult rhythm.

Say I'm working on something with 16th notes...four notes per beat (for newbies this can be pretty fast). At full speed, it's tough to fit the notes in with proper timing. So I'll put down the guitar, turn on my metro at a slower-than-usual tempo, and in my mind, or out loud, say "ONE-quad-ru-plet... TWO-quad-ru-plet... THREE-quad-ru-plet... etc.... and adjust my timing so that my verbal notes fit in with the clicks of the metro as they should. Then slowly increase the tempo. Then the transition to real notes on the guitar is easier. Anyone else do this?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

My Casio metronome has a setting to give you a tick in 16th notes (or 8ths, or triplets in 8ths) - you just set your BPM then set the accent. Lo and behold, four clicks per beat at whatever tempo you've dialled in.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Excellent advice, Grimm. My Pandora has a metronome / drum pattern setting but I don't use it often enough. It definitely helps, though!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@chamby_x)

Well you've convinced me :) I was gonna post a question about the metronome and how it helps your playing, but I searched and found this first.

I am brutal at timing. Course being such a newb I'm brutal at most stuff, but I've definitly had my eyes opened to how important keeping time is.

It's hard enough to do it with my instructor, can't imagine how hard it'll be if I'm ever in a band (which is a dream of mine).

One question, how much does a quality metronome set you back?

Willow- Don't you have any ambitions?
Oz- Sure. E-flat diminish 9th.
Willow- Huh?
Oz- The E-flat, it's doable, but that diminish 9th...it's a man's chord. You could lose a finger.
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I find it easy to go by feel myself. Especially when getting into 16th or 32nd notes. I can actually play along faster than I can count to 16th amd 32nd notes so I find metronomes hard for me to use.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have a habit of learning a song and once I have it down (playing the right notes ect..) I turn on the metro and get the rhythm down.
I have a Yamaha metronome (the one shaped like a flying saucer) that cost me $40. I picked that one because it was loud enough to hear when I play at work.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I normally go by ear. Partly because I cannot focus on the sound of the metronome and the sound of my guitar. They, like, get blending together and I can't tell whivh sound is coming from where.

I kinda look at is as that I already know how to play in tune. The guitar is the 4th instrument I have learned to play so its nothing new to me but that's not what I mean. I often hum songs, play songs in my head (especially at work) or drum on the desk. And I know tons of well enough that I can not only predict what note is coming next but also how long to hold it.

So I don't look at it as having to learn a new skill, I look at it as having to apply a skill I've had for as long as I can remember to the guitar. Not sure if it would work for everyone, but it works for me.

ReplyQuote