0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering which scales are the best to learn? thanx

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I put 7 scales on my web site (link below) not necessarily because they are the best ones but they were suggested to me a long time ago. The important part is they are all over the neck. Work on one then figure out the theory on how to move them up and down the neck.

Just a suggestion and others may have a better idea.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I have been playing since Feb and I wont on the Major Pent and the Blues scales. I havent checked but I bet both are on Nils website.

Major Pent because it was the first one I saw, and every instructor I have ever had tried to teach me this one first and the blues because I enjoy playing it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Work on one then figure out the theory on how to move them up and down the neck.

That's how my teacher has me doing it. Started with the major and minor scales, now moving into pentatonics and blues.

And, as Nils notes on his web site,
Paying particular attention to the Root notes in each of the patterns.

That way you learn the fretboard and the scales, and which part of the scale to play depending on where your root is located. It's great when it all comes together! :D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Scales scales scales

Clickety click

More scales than you'll ever be able to use, from 2 to 10 notes. Hundreds of them. They are all shown in standard notation, Tab and as fretboard maps. They're also all written in C Major, so you'll have to transcribe them yourselves - soz.

I know I'm in a minority in the classical community, for whom learning scales by rote still forms part of the exam structure, but IMHO as an exercise in itself, learning scales has no value. None of them is any more important than any other. What does become important is consistency - there's no point starting a solo in Spanish Phrygian if you suddenly switch to minor pentatonic halfway through a phrase and into Symmetrical Decatonic at the start of the next one.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I always take a different angle on this subject, in fact on quite a few subjects, maybe I am just a liitle different.
I say it depends on what you want to do as a guitarist.
For me, major, minor and a couple of pentatonics was more than enough to meet my goals. The major scales alone taught me where all the notes are on the fingerboard and what notes went with what key signatures.
The only other benefit, to me, was finger exercise.
I like to play fingerstyle arrangements and just strumming through songs. I am a fireside player and that is my only goal. So, for me, learning a whole boat load of scales is impractical.
Now a lead player who will be playing improvised solos will need to work on more scales.
Again, what scales you learn depends on what you want to do with them.

ReplyQuote