Skip to content
Mic and Effec - Liv...

Notifications
Clear all

Mic and Effec - LivePod?? Setting Up Performance...

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Everyone...

I've switched from playing my classical to my new acoustic electric (about 4 months now). I've wanted to start playing around with my amp. Fender 15 R Amp.

My Goal

I'd like to have a microphone to sing from. I don't really know who makes the good kind.

I'd also like to be able to do effects to the sound i'm playing. A neighbor (not so into the technology stuff) has a box that records cd's and makes drum beats and does cool effects.
- I was thinking of something smalller that I can carry around. I've heard something about Live Pod Xt's or Classics, but i'm not too sure on what they are. I was able to play my neighbors electric with different effects and it sounded way better than just the overdrive in my amp :).

Last thing - How do I connect that in my amp. Their is a headphone jack and Input jack. Are their any spliter cables I need?

btw...Thanks a ton and if you have a recommendation for some good headphones so I can rock and not let the family get mad. (All connectable?)

* Jet

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Vocal Microphone:
•Classic stage mic= Shure SM58 (~$100US)
•Cheap alternative= Behringer XM8500 ($20US), Audio-Technica DR-VX-1 ($40US).
Vocal Amplification:
You can't really go through an electric guitar amp for vocals, they will probably sound pretty bad. An acoustic guitar amp (something like the fender acoustasonic series) with a vocal input or a PA system are 2 choices. For practice or simple recording you can even go through a mixer into a home stereo amp and speakers.

Pod's are primarily amp simulators and effects boxes secondarily. They are great for recording direct into a deck and more difficult to use for live playing. You can go into a guitar amp, but it can be difficult to get a good sound. An electric guitar amp naturally distorts the sound and the pod has already done that in the amp simulator. So it can be easiest to play a pod direct into a mixer and through a clean system like a PA.
With careful adjustment you can go through an amp, though. In that case you wouldn't need a splitter, just plug the guitar into the pod and the pod into the amp.
I've never used a pod with an acoustic, it would be a bit of an experiment on your part. Alesis makes an $80US effects box specifically for acoustic guitars that you might want to check out.

For headphones I like the Grado SR60 ($70US) (or the slightly more expensive SR80's) which sound great, but some find a bit uncomfortable for long periods. I also like the in-ear Etymotic ER6 (or ER6i if you want to also use them with a walkman) and Shure E2C (which I just bought for my wifes birthday, keep it secret) ($100US). The Grados and the Etymotic ER6 give a very true response, which is nice for recording. The others can color the sound a bit, like exagerating the bass.

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

You could always try the Pod in your effect loop of your amp (if it has one) as this bypassess any colour that the amps EQ and gain settings may have
This will give a "Clean" sound for your Pods moddelling and the amps / effects will sound more "Real" .
I also have an older Peavey Amp that sounded horrible for guitar as it was always too clean , I have ressureccted it because of the effects loop and the pod sounds very close through that compared to direct/pa.
Only thing is my amps volume control is disabled when Pod is connected to effects loop so the Pods volume control sets it all but I can live with that :lol:

By the way the PodXT can do soime nice vocal effects / cleaning for recording with a little work , its a great tool

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hey Everyone...

I've switched from playing my classical to my new acoustic electric (about 4 months now). I've wanted to start playing around with my amp. Fender 15 R Amp.

My Goal

I'd like to have a microphone to sing from. I don't really know who makes the good kind.

Last thing - How do I connect that in my amp. Their is a headphone jack and Input jack. Are their any spliter cables I need?

btw...Thanks a ton and if you have a recommendation for some good headphones so I can rock and not let the family get mad. (All connectable?)

* Jet

Mics: We've used Shure Sm-57's and Sm-58's in the band for ages. They're the Timex of microphones ("takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" ). Nothing else seems to have quite the same quality ( both for sound and ruggedness ) for the price.

For an acoustic guitar + mic I'd trade that 15R for an Acoustisonic or a Passport PA system. Both are relatively inexpensive, easily portable, will give you inputs for both the guitar and the mic, and sound far better than trying to run vocals and guitar through the 15R.

Headphones: AKG K240 Studio. Nice comfortable sealed cups. I use 'em for recording all the time.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote