Clear all

Moving thumb position on neck.

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wadesisk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am attempting to learn to play some arpeggios that move up and down the neck, but am having a hard time moving my thumb while my fingers are working thier way around the fretboard. I don't have this problem while playing chords because of the release between chords, but with arpeggios, where there is no release, my thumb always seems to get left behind.

What thumb position relative to the rest of the fingers should I strive for while moving up or down the neck?.

Should I be sliding my thumb smoothly with my fingers or should I make jumps with my thumb when I get the opportunity?

I don't seem to be making much progress either way.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'd suggest you try sliding the thumb with the rest of your fingers and aim to keep the thumb at the middle of the neck.

I wonder if you're tensing up as you play the arpeggios? That might explain why keeping your thumb positioned is giving you trouble. You don't need to grip the neck tightly. Relax.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Your thumb should just slide along. It should never anchor in one spot. You might try playing without touching your thumb to the neck for a while to get a feel for how it should be.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I know I am not doing it right but works for me.
I just plain don't pay any attention at all to my thumb when playing. It seems to find where it wants to be all on its own.
I sometimes notice that my thumb isn't touching the neck at all.
Technically I suppose your thumb should be somewhere under your middle finger, or so I am told.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I know I am not doing it right but works for me.
I just plain don't pay any attention at all to my thumb when playing. It seems to find where it wants to be all on its own.
I sometimes notice that my thumb isn't touching the neck at all.
Technically I suppose your thumb should be somewhere under your middle finger, or so I am told.

I think it's best not to think about the thumb too much. As long as it's not pressing the neck, you're doing pretty well. I let mine float around and brush the neck wherever it wants. I don't know of any reason it needs to touch the neck, except to reassure you that the guitar is still there.

ReplyQuote
(@wadesisk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I realized that I was tensing up after reading your reply Musenfreund.
I relaxed and concentrated on my fingering and was suprised to find my thumb position doesn't seem to be a problem at all when I don't think about it.

All of you have been a trmendous help. Thank you all.

ReplyQuote