Notifications
Clear all

Moving up and down the fret board

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@bluesman831)
Topic starter  

I am learning fingerpicking right now (Blackbird to be specifc). When I move up and down the neck I get an awful screeching sound. Should I lift my fingers more off the strings or are there strings that I should use which have a coating on them to prevent that? Not sure.

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

First, it may be a matter of technique, I can't tell without observing, but you're right, you could try lifting your fingers off cleanly and precisely as possible, as opposed to sliding, if that's what you're doing. Teachers here would know what to say. But yes, sliding does make noise, like a violin-bowing or screeching sound.

Secondly, there are completely flatwound strings which are quiet, but muted. There are semi-flatwound strings, and there are coated Elixir Strings - see other thread where the G string breaks. They all/any brand can break or have the potential to break, IMO. You just replace broken strings or could try Nut Sauce?

Lastly there are string lubes. I've tried but won't use GHS Fast Fret with the dabber, or Finger Ease with an aerosol propellant. I tend to prefer Kyser Dr. Stringfellow products, and there is also good stuff from a D'Addario Company, Planet Waves; also an appealing Gibson guitar care pack and string lube. http://store.daddario.com/category/146520?language_id=1&currency_id=1

I still wouldn't spray this on, although it is safe for wood. I would slip clean paper between the strings and the fretboard if I was going to pump spray, but wiping lubricants on, if necessary, with a lint free cotton cloth is my preferred method. Just a matter of habit or personal preference.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

you are going to get that on the strings, it's just a natural part of playing fingerstyle. With time it will get less. When I started to play fingerstyle on an acoustic I had the same question. The noise is still quite a bit, but no where near what it was.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I noticed that applying a more firm pressure almost stopped the sound entirely, or at least gives the slide a musical sound instead of a screech. I tried being lighter but the heavy bass strings still made a noticeable screech. Taking your fingers off cleanly would mean you're not sliding anymore wouldn't it?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

early in my guitar experience I screeched alot.
now hardly ever if at all.
yes, there is a certain acceptable amount, but too much is , well, you know.
I think you will find a way to avoid it, just like we all did.
time heals all screech.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

Dealing with screech also. As mentioned already in this thread, I was able to reduce it considerably as my fingers grew stronger and more accurate. Strength + accuracy = less screech.

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote