muting poll - floating or not ?

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

just curious -
how many people here play with a 'floating' picking hand technique e.g, not touching the strings with your picking hand at all and using your fret hand to do all muting
or
rest their hand on the strings?

personally i started out anchoring just my pinky on the scratchplate, then using the side of my pick hand to keep things quiet, now trying to use my fret hand to mute more.

anyone else?

This is my signature. Fear it.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I use my fretting hand to mute if I'm using an open tuning....but in standard tuning, I tend to use the edge of my strumming hand...that's the way I was shown, and I've stuck to it ever since...

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I use both and everything in between.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I switch techniques, sometimes on the fly, and usually without thinking about it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

I started out anchoring my pinky finger like you, and a guitar player friend told me not to, it was hard at first to float the pick hand but my playing seemed smoother. Now I'm back to doing both, depends on the type of song. From what I've seen, it does'nt seem to matter, people seem to use both ways and play really well.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I do both, depending on the sound I need. Most of the time I float - resting my hand is a deliberate thing, either for muting, or so I can arch my picking hand a lot to demonstrate a particular pattern for a student. I keep my picking hand very close to the strings, either with a pick or fingerstyle, so it's sometimes hard to see what my right hand is doing.

When I need to arch to demonstrate, I anchor my pinky below the strings.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

I once anchored but over time I more and more floated around. There is no special reason for this behaviour though... strange...

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

I used to anchor my pinky on the guitar and then use the side of my hand. But my guitar tutor jumped all over me about having my pinky on the guitar all the time is bad technique. He also got me to lower my elbow alot and play closer to the bridge. So now i basicly mute with the heal of my hand.

ReplyQuote
(@tfroberg)
Eminent Member

When I'm just strumming chords I'll float my hand, but the second I need precision (i.e playing single note lead lines) I'll gently rest my palm on the bridge. If I don't my picking gets extremely sloppy. This usually isn't a problem unless the song requires a lot of shifting between chord strumming and lead guitar licks (like most songs by Hendrix and SRV).

This space for rent

ReplyQuote