Clear all

Singing in tune

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have against all odds actually learnd a couple of songs on the guitar. The major problem is that I can't sing in tune. When I sing along to my guitar I can hear that my voice is way of but I cant seem to get the voice where I want it. Is this something that will develope by it self if I continue to sing along when I practice or is there something I can do to speed up the process?

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Try using a capo to get in the range of your voice.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

To sing in tune, you have to 'think' in tune. Before you sing a note, hear it in your head first, then see if you can follow along with it.

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member

I start by singing into an electronic tuner (if that sounds stupid, it looks even stupider) but it helps. I go "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" and alter it until I get an A, then "BBBBBBBBB" and so on, to practice. I'm starting to be able to hit notes from memory after a few weeks of this.

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You gotta breathe...

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Singing is hard. And if you don't easily hear pitch, it's even harder.

Couple of things to try.

First -- start using an interval trainer daily until you can tell all the basic musical intervals with good accuracy.

Second -- get some recording software, doesn't matter what, Audigy works just fine, and a cheap mic. Now practice singing very simple melodies -- 1 and 2 not melodies. And then listen back to what you did. Yes, it will be painful to hear, but you need the feedback.

Third -- Find a good pitch analsyis program and try to sing your melodies getting real-time feedback to if you're on key or not. It's pretty amazing how quickly you can self-correct when you can see that you're off pitch.

Fourth -- Learn how to breath. Breath control is a real important part of singing well. Google around for some on-line resources to help.

After about a month or two of the above, your voice will have imporved a whole lot, and if you should be getting an idea of what you need the most work on to go from there.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I find it easier to "tune" my voice when I listen to my voice through a mik and headphones. I mix the mik and the guitar through a small cheap "karaoki" amp ( two mik inputs and 2X10W output) and either connect phones or speakers to the output.

The main problem is that the voice sound you hear in your head is not the same that comes out of the mouth, as you will notice when you listen to yourself in a recording.

If you look at many pro singers, you will find that they are using all kind of tricks to direct the mouth sound to the ears.
Holding a hand close to the ear and the elbow at the mouth is one old vocal singer trick. More modern is to use small nonvisible "walkman earphones" to be able listen to your voice and at sametime reduce the surrounding noice level.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you look at many pro singers, you will find that they are using all kind of tricks to direct the mouth sound to the ears.

If you see film of singers in the 50's and 60's, many of them would stick a finger in one ear or you see them holding one hand like a phone handset, between ear and mouth - those that cared what they sounded like that is :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote