Notifications
Clear all

My My, Hey Hey Help!

23 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@danabis)
Trusted Member

http://hyperrust.org/General/Musicians.html this is a great resource for neil young songs. it has all his songs in alternate tunings as well as a bunch of the keys he plays harmonica in. for hey hey my my i use a C harp as most others here have said! peace[/url]

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey! Great link! Thanks! Gonna browse round that and see what I come up with. 8)

Lars, if you're still out there - get this: I'm playing the song in standard tuning, but with a capo on FIRST fret - and it seems to fit better than second fret (I'm using a D harp btw)! How can that be?? I'm either going mad, drinking waaay too much JD, or there's something going on that I don't know about.

The song is Am, I'm playing Capo First Fret (god know's what key that is in!), but the D harp really does sound ok...I'm almost getting to sound right!

If anyone out there can work THAT out, well, you're a better man than me!!!! But it is working - honest!

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

- the safest bet would be that you are out of key - after having messed with our friend Neil's tuning, you ended up one semitone too high - with a capo on 1st., am sound bm and fits a D harp perfectly. Check your tuning dude!

Else, my money would definitely be on the JD theory - as another common friend Bob says "they say whiskey can kill you, but I don't think it will"

There is no way a D harmonica goes together with Bbm - no way

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Doh! LOL. Checked tuning, put guitar back in standard tune (via tuner and 'not' my ear), and ok, you're right....it does fit on 2nd fret with D harp. "I've been a moonshiner, for many a long year, I've spent all my money on whiskey and beer....."

I've almost got Neil's song nailed though...got the first harp part down, working on the second bit as we speak.. just find it a bit hard to sing to it with capo'd 2nd...must get that C harp and play it un-capo'd... I've got til sunday to do this, cos I intend to 'Open Mic' it at my local...

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Everyone!

I've finally nailed it!! Finally bought a C harp and play it in standard tune, and it fits great! It's took me the best part of two weeks to get the second harmonica solo down, but I've finally sussed it - and if I say so myself, i'm pretty pleased with it :lol:

Thanks guys for all your input and advice :D

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Oh, meant to add:-

Now what else can I learn in a similar vein?? Any suggestions? I'm gonna have another browse round the lessons and see if there's anything else I can have a go at.

David Hodge...where would I be without you????

ReplyQuote
(@kickinstonesblu)
Trusted Member

If you play it backwards the other one's first name can be heard at times too.

If I don't remember it....It didn't happen

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

If you play it backwards the other one's first name can be heard at times too.

Nah, his name's usually heard when I can't play it at all!! :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2