11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Finally, I have bought my new electric guitar:
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG321MH&color=2

Very nice guitar for me, and it even sounds good unplugged. However, I'm having some problems, in that I can't hear the higher strings through the amp. If I play from low to high, the sound coming out of the amp gets progressively softer, and the high E I can't hear at all, except from the guitar. It's a little confusing, as I hear some sound from the amp, and some from the guitar:-)

I'm new to the electric guitar thing, but from reading the manuals (gasp :shock: ), it seems it could be that the battery in the guitar needs replacement (no clear place for a battery as far as I can see, except unscrewing the panel in the back), or the pickups are set too low and not properly picking up the string vibrations (and the lower strings, being thicker, pickup better). What sort of distance should the pickups be from the strings?

Could also be the amp or the cables, but I can't offer useful thoughts on those...

(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Congratulations mate! I only just picked up my new guitar last week so I know how you're feeling about now! 8)

Unfortunately I haven't got any manuals for mine so was just playing around with the knobs and switches, not really having any idea what they do. :P

As it turned out I had the same problem as you. In my case it was the selector switch ... presumably it puts emphasis on the bass or treble strings or a balance between the two. The other thing is to ensure all the knobs are even, or even try turning the bass ones down a bit.

Hope this helps. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you hold the string down at the last fret, the high e string should be about 2mm (5/64") from the string and the low E should be about 3mm (1/8").

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

If the guitar has active pickups, then it may very well be the battery. I couldn't find any information on to wheter or not it has them, on the site. It would be in the control cavity more the likely.

If it is not the pickups, its probably string height. Do what greybeard said and check the height. Adjust it accoridngly, and keep us posted to any changes.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

the high e string should be about 2mm (5/64") from the string

Huh? I'm lost. Do you mean 2mm from the pickup?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Err, yes, sorry :oops: :oops:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Also, you might just want to take the new axe in to the luthier or local guitar tech guy. Chances are it might need a good set up if it's been sitting around the factory too long and he can check to see there's nothing wrong with it. I just got a new mexican strat to replace my Squire POS and I took it to my luthier the next day and it REALLY needed a set up and a few adjustments.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

nice guitar 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@shred)

Hey I was thinking of buying the exact same guitar! It would be really nice if you could tell me something more about it (like the quality of pickups, flaws, if any, etc..). An RG for just $275 sounds a great deal for me. I am mostly into metal so I guess it would suit me well...

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey I was thinking of buying the exact same guitar! It would be really nice if you could tell me something more about it (like the quality of pickups, flaws, if any, etc..). An RG for just $275 sounds a great deal for me. I am mostly into metal so I guess it would suit me well...

I wish I could, but I don't know enough. But let's try:

The setup wasn't great (some fret buzz, and the pickups set too low), but it's nothing major I guess. Probably the stores fault. I'll need to mess about with the setup.

What I WILL say it it handles and sounds great. I can (and do) play without the amp, as the sound isn't bad even without volume. Of course, I imagine everyone has their own taste in guitars, but this one just feels right. It's hard to say why, but it feels as if I play better than on my acoustic.

As for flaws in the construction, there is nothing I've picked up after a couple of hours of playing, besides the setup. Hopefully I will have time tonight to experiment.

ReplyQuote
(@shred)

Ahh I see. I have been doing research for months and still cant figure out what guitar to buy. I just dont want to get ripped off buying my first electric guitar...I have somewhat narrowed it down to the RG321 and the Epiphone G310...anyways thanks for your quick response.

ReplyQuote