Notifications
Clear all

My pinkie seems to "crack" while fingerpicking

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gioeleb)
Topic starter  

I started to play House of the Rising Sun as tabbed on one lesson here a guitarnoise.com.

I found my self pushing my hand with force on my pinkie while picking strings with the other fingers. After a while, about a minute, my pinkie seems to crack and I've to stop.

What is the best way to place the right hand while playing with fingerpicking?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My hand just floats over the strings.
when finger picking or any fingerstyle playing for that matter at least one of your picking fingers or thumb are in contact with a string at any given time.
Knowing what string you are on gives you a reference point for whatever string needs to be played next.
It takes a certain amount of feel ,which comes with practice, to play without ancoring but in my opinion does improve your playing.
(I assumed that you where ancoring with your pinky according to your post)

ReplyQuote
(@gioeleb)
Topic starter  

(I assumed that you where ancoring with your pinky according to your post)
If anchoring means keeping my pinky attached to the wood of the guitar under the strings, then yes, I was anchoring with my pinky.

You say I should try to float over the strings... It seems difficult, but I'll try it. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@ciaran)
Eminent Member

If you are going to anchor with your pinky, it should be resting lightly, with little or no pressure. Sounds like you're heading for a lot of pain if you keep doing what you're doing.

I prefer not to do it at all personally, but I used to, which is probably why I sometimes catch myself doing it now. When you're using a plectrum, there are arguments for and against, but when you're fingerpicking, you're just wasting a valuable finger in my opinion.

ReplyQuote