Skip to content
$500ish canadian fo...

Notifications
Clear all

$500ish canadian for an electric...what to get?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I can go ebay, used, or new...pretty much any route necessary. Mostly gonna be playing metallica/generic rock. I'm thinking slightly used is probably the best route...what should I expect/what's a guitar that's a good value at around this range? Or should I keep saving? This is not including an amp. Any input is appreciated.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Man I really like Godins , not sure what they run in funny money(loonies and such).

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Hex
(@hex)

For less than 500$ you can definitly get a Godin. Look at the guitars they have in the Performance Series. For rock, I suggest the Freeway Classic, the SDxt or Exit 22. When I was shopping around for an electric last year, I saw all those models at prices below $500 (in Montreal). They're very good guitar for the price.

They also have a new Floyd Rose model if that's what you're looking for but I don't the price of that one.

Their website: http://www.godinguitars.com/

Happy shopping!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

On a low-medium budget like your on, I'd say if you go new you can get something decent, but if you go used you can get something GREAT!

500 is a nice place to shop at because in the used market you can pickup the lower end of the really high quality guitars. You could pickup a slightly older, but extremely high quality MIJ Strat or a well loved Les Paul Studio, etc etc. Sorry I don't have any input on Godins, my experience with them is limited.

Guitars that list closer to 800-1k fall right into your range when used, which is nice... 8)

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

+1 on the Godin, and another +1 on the used comment. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

Godin Exit22. I paid $450 CAD. It came with a very nice carrying case also. I love that mahogany body look. Plays very nice. I bought the Vox Valvetronix 30ADVT ($300 CAD) to go with it. Very nice combo home fun.
Unfortunately I find I play my acoustic more often. But the electric can be fun.

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input guys. I look into the godins, but of course, I'll have to play them before I make up my mind :D

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote