Clear all

Mystery Chord

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@fender-bender)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a tune I have been working on, and I am getting pretty satisfied, so I am trying to transcribe it to paper. I can't find these shapes on a chord chart though. I am wondering if there is a web site with a neck where you click your finger placement spots and it tells you the chord? In the meantime, any thoughts?

--- #1-------- #2 -------- #3
Broken----- Bdim ----- Bdim
-- Am ------+xtra ----- E Like

- -0 - - - - - -1 - - - - - -0 - - -
- -0 - - - - - -0 - - - - - -0 - - -
- -1 - - - - - -1 - - - - - -1 - - -
- -2 - - - - - -2 - - - - - -2 - - -
- -x - - - - - -x - - - - - -x - - -
- -x - - - - - -x - - - - - -x - - -

Thanks,
F/B in Beautiful Wentzville, MO

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

#1 and #3 are partial E chords - xx2100 gives x - x- E - G# - B - E. #2 is an E chord - you've still got the E - G# - B triad, with an added b9, so I'd stick my neck out and guess at E(addb9.) Hard to tell, though, without seeing the chords in the proper context.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Here you go:

http://www.guitarchordsmagic.com/guitar-chord-finder.html

#1: E major
#2: F minor sharp 7th diminished 5th
#3: E major

Maybe one of the experts can tell me why #2 is an F... I guess, the F on the 1st string....

Edit: I just played #2 and it does sound like an F, not an E... My theory is really really rusty.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

With no context, a highly dissonant chord like no.2 can have as many names as it has notes. The chord finder that Jeff posted a link for has assumed that F is the root and called it F min sharp 7 flat 5th, with notes F Ab B E (actually, that chord should be spelled F Ab Cb E)

But in the context supplied, sandwiched between two E major chords, (which the chord finder didn't know about) I'd agree with VIc. It's E addb9. Depending on how long it lasts and whether it's accented or not, it could even be argued that it's not a different chord at all but just E major with a brief melodic decoration.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you take F as the root of the second chord, you'll have the notes F - G# - B - E......Root, flattened third, flattened fifth (this triad makes Fdim, so far so good....) but the E throws it out - it's either a major seventh or a fifteenth! So what you'd call it I don't know....Fdim(add15)? Fdim(maj7)? Neither of those looks right....

However, if you take E as the root, you've got the E major triad - E G# and B - with the F note on the first string as an added flattened 9th. As that chord's in between two E chords, and also shares the same E note as the bass/root, I'd be more tempted to call it E(addb9) - not E(b9), as there's no flattened seventh.

Vic

EDIT - beaten to the punch by Fretsource! I should have waited till he or Noteboat came along instead of diving head first into the murky waters of theory.....

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

If you play them beside each other the #2 really does sound like an F instead of an E.

ReplyQuote
(@fender-bender)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok, don't beat me . . .

Turns out the first chart I typed was wrong.

OK, #1 it turns out is an A5, both strings fretted at the 2nd fret (not one on the first) SORRY!

I was shown to make a Bdim from fretting the G and E on the first fret and strumming 4 strings X-X-0-1-0-1, but when I pick out the strings seperately I like the sound of the D fretted at the second fret. Then I like to resolve to the same with the e left open.

ReplyQuote
(@fender-bender)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

or rather it is an Esus4? That guitarchordmagic.com/guitar-chord-finder thing is neat.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So you're saying chord #1 is xx2200?

If so that'd give you an Esus4, as stated above; or an Asus2, if you believe in such things - I'd go with the Esus4, as the lowest/bass/root note is the E.

Esus4 - E(root) A(fourth) B(fifth)
Asus2 - A(root) B(second) E(fifth)

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh, BTW, Fenderbender, the Bdim you show (xx0101) is actually a Bdim7.....

notes are, from L to R, x x D G# B and F....with B as the root, you'd have B(root) - D(flattened third) - F((flattened fifth) and G#(flattened[flattened seventh]).

or to put it another way.....
Root b3 b5 bb7 chord

B D F G# Bdim7
D F G# B Ddim7
F G# B D Fdim7
G# B D F G#dim7

So move the whole shape up one fret - xx1212 - and you'll have Cdim7 OR Ebdim7 OR F#dim7 OR A dim7.
Move it up another fret - xx2323 - you've got C#dim7 OR Edim7 OR Gdim7 OR Bbdim7.
Move it up AGAIN and you've got a different voicing for the Bdim7/Ddim7/Fdim7/G#dim7 chords......

So you can play any of the 12 possible dim7ths using one shape and three frets - handy little chord to have in your arsenal!

(Oh yes - the G#dim7 should really be Abdim7, but I'm too lazy - and it's too late - to go back and correct 'em all!)

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

(Oh yes - the G#dim7 should really be Abdim7, but I'm too lazy - and it's too late - to go back and correct 'em all!)

The G# dim7 is fine, Vic and makes a lot more sense than Ab dim7
G# dim 7 = G# B D F
Ab dim 7 = Ab Cb Ebb Gbb !!!

G#dim7 is quite common as it occurs on the leading note of A (harmonic) minor: A B C D E F G# A
But, I don't think I've ever encountered an Ab dim 7 and with any luck, I never will :D

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

To elaborate on how context defines a chord, sometimes it depends on for whom I'm making the notation or even how I got to the chord, and where it occurs in the song.

Let me start by saying pay no attention to me. What I know about theory you could fit in a thimble.

The song I'm working on now, in Bm, has a section that starts with a Bm7. I decided to play a descending bass line and the next chord is Bm7/A. In other words I just took the bar off of the A string. But then I listened and thought, no that's not quite it. I'd also like to lift my middle finger off of the 3rd fret B string to create a very nice contrasting sound. So I went from:

Bm7 - x24232 or B F# A D F#

to

Bm7/A - x04232 or A F# A D F# which I decided not to use.

to

Mystery Chord - x04222 or A F# A C# F#

Now if you look at the construction of the mystery chord you'll notice it's only three notes, F# A and C# which pretty much defines an F#m chord. So you'd probably be better off calling it an F#m/A and that does fit in the key. But in this case, and I could be very wrong, I'm going to call it a Bm7b3/A. Why? Because it fits better in the context....at least in my mind. Not that I've ever seen a chord with that notation before...

How'd I get to that? Well one...because it's easier for me to keep track of. In context the song doesn't go to v, it's hanging about on i....I'm modifying a Bm7, not changing chords. Really all I've done is applied an accidental to the third of a Bm7 or if you like to think of it this way I've double flatted the third of the B7.

However now that I think of it, by taking out the minor 3rd, it's no longer minor....hmm, B7sus2/A

that's why I try not to think of these things, it makes my brain hurt.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The G# dim7 is fine, Vic and makes a lot more sense than Ab dim7
G# dim 7 = G# B D F
Ab dim 7 = Ab Cb Ebb Gbb !!!

G#dim7 is quite common as it occurs on the leading note of A (harmonic) minor: A B C D E F G# A
But, I don't think I've ever encountered an Ab dim 7 and with any luck, I never will

Ah, I was looking at the Ab/G# scale and it seemed to make more sense to call it Ab...

I = Ab, II = Bb, III = C, IV = Db, V = Eb, VI = F, VII = G.

Quite possibly, I'm at that stage of music theory where a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@fender-bender)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The back-story is my guitar teacher wants he and I to work out a song based on the C scale. Keep in mind that I am a green beginner, slow learner, etc. (More about me if you click that globe button to the right under my profile picture.)

He is only expecting me to find a chord progression I like by next week. I've written out the intro, verse, chorus, and outro. A couple of spots I am very happy with, a couple of spots need work. Anyway...

So the verse is a progression of Am, G, Dm. But in with the Am's I am alternating with that broken Am chord where I lift my finger off the B string. (So that turns it into an A5) I was not really sure they were "chords" but was hoping to just write chord titles above the staff instead of writing out the entire TAB.

Another for instance is when I play the Dm through 8 strokes, on the 7th I like to slip my pinkie down (for one stroke) on the e string, third fret, under my ring finger. It's just an accent from my perspective. ( I checked that guitarchordsmagic.com thingy, it says that's a Dsus4 )

In the same way the Bdim (cheat) chord I am using gets things slightly added / changed / removed to accent it as well.

I was really only expecting a few easy answers, or "them aint chords" responses, I didn't realize I would spark a Theory debate. All that is still over my head . . . for now.

Thanks again for all the help!!

ReplyQuote
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

Its great, you can do exactly what you are looking for. Pick a bunch of notes and it will tell you what the name of the chord is.

Agile AL-3100 Cherry Sunburst Slim Neck (2008)
Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

ReplyQuote