Clear all

Neck width?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@eric-m)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a question for people that have very large hands,fat fingers. I was wondering if there are any guitar manufactures out there that have or offer wider necks and string spacing to assist people that have very big hands? I know that the longer you play your calases(spelling)? build up and you dont have to get so much of your finger down between the strings but it seems to me that it would be a lot easier to get clean chords if I had a 1/16 inch more room between the strings or I had little skinny fingers that where about the size of pencils(LOL). Any help, suggestions or thoughts on this would be appreciated. This is for electric or acoustic guitarests.

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I know that classical guitars tend to have wider necks, other than that I would suggest getting down to your local guitar center, ask one of the assistants if they have/know of any, and just try out a load of the guitars they have, different makes and models vary in neck size anyway.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Classical acoustic guitars have a wide fretboard. It should give you more room.
edit: he beat me to it :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Eric. I was looking online and saw this guitar at mf. It has a nut width of 1 7/8 in. That might be what you're looking for.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com
Gold-Tone-Weissenborn-LM-Mahogany-Acoustic-Guitar

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Gibson/Epiphone and PRS guitars tend to have wider necks (at least wider than my fender and dean)

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Carvins Allen Holdsworth model has a 20 inch radius fretboard, and its wide at the nut too. Probably the widest fretboard on an electric, but its an expensive instrument.

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member

Seagulls have a nut width of 1.8", largest that I know of for a decent solid top guitar (350.00).

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Standard nut widths are 1-11/16 and 1-3/4. Classical guitars are usually 2-3/8 - so you might try that.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My B.C. Rich seems to have a wider neck to me, and by the way my Squire Tele plays, one of those is the last thing you want. :lol: All of the above suggestions are exellent choices IMO also. I wish you luck. I must say I am fortunate. I have very wide hands yet my fingers are fairly slender. I got the best of both far as I'm concerned. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I know that a lot of people like to get twelve string guitars and remove the extra six strings to get wide string spacing (12 strings already have a bigger width).

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@eric-m)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for all the help, I have looked over the specs on the more popular electrics and it seems that everything out there is either 1 11/16 or 1 3/4 so there is only the difference of a 1/16 between brands not counting classical guitars. I don't think a 1/16, spread out between 6 strings is going to make much of a difference, but than again I guess it is better than nothing. I guess I will just have to be that much more precise in my playing to make up for my fat farmer fingers(lol). Thanks again for all the help.

ReplyQuote