Clear all

Need help!

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@conzy)
Topic starter  

Hey.

I'm 15 at the moment, nearly 16 and have recently picked up my guitar again after not playing for 2-3 years (had been playing for roughly a year and a half, a lesson each week and the occasional practise, ending on being able to play Sweet Child O' Mine and various songs with similar difficulty levels). I've been playing for a week at the moment and I'll briefly list what I can play, or rather, the main things that I can play:

• Iron Man - full minus solo
  • Sweet Dreams (Marilyn Manson version) - full minus solo
  • Various intros - Smoke on The Water, Smells Like Teen Spirit, One, Enter Sandman, Back in Black, Beat It, Purple Haze etc
  • Full chords for various songs including Good Riddance, Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Chasing Cars
  • A few scales and other random easy tunes
  • I've really been relying on my own self knowledge of basic songs at the moment, and have just today stumbled across here which I've been using to learn famous riffs/easy songs and will be getting guitar lessons weekly soon.

What I'm really wondering is how I'm progressing at the moment, what I should do (like a daily lesson plan - any good theory material, general learning stuff?), and generally how long it will take before I'm "band-worthy" - I have a couple of mates who are wanting to start a band but they're all well above my skill level at the moment.

Thank you in advance for any answers!

Conzy.

(@jimbrady57)

You sound like your coming along rather nicely to me, I wouldn't expect to be really good at guitar untill you've practiced for about 5 years, and not rediculously good untill your well into adulthood. One of the most beneficial things for me in advancment was learning "easy" solo's to boost my confidence, for example... My first solo was from "smells like teen spirit" and the next was "nothing else matters" which was hard at first but trust me, find like your favorite song and obsess on it untill you can play it perfectly... inless it's something ridiculous like the solo from "Jordan"...

C-1 Schecter Diamond Series... I live for teh active pickups... :D

ReplyQuote
    (@trguitar)
    Famed Member

Start a band with your friends, you will progress beyond your expectations. You are the right age, you just need the proper motivation.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
    grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
    -- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
    (@joehempel)
    Famed Member

Start a band with your friends, you will progress beyond your expectations. You are the right age, you just need the proper motivation

+1

Steps to the band:

1. Find some some buddies Start A Band

2. Scrape up some money buy a van

3. Never buy another beer again (oh wait too young)

At least that's how easy Brad Pailsey says it is. Good luck to you!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote