Notifications
Clear all

Ghetto Killswitch trouble

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jimbrady57)
Topic starter  

Hi everybody, It's great to be here, I just recently started playing guitar about a year ago and I finally got around to making a sort of killswitch for it. Basically I took the input/output sockets from an old pedal that was broken and I put a button between them. Every time I push the button it cuts off the sound as is intended, however during that time I hear static through my amp, the same static that I hear in the cord isn't plugged in at all, and like your touching it, like with your finger or something... I was just wondering before I wrap it up nice if theres a small circut I can attach to it to relieve that static noise.... Also, I was wondering, what exactly keeps you from hearing static when the cord is plugged into the guitar as opposed to not being.... Thanks you very much,

-James Brady

C-1 Schecter Diamond Series... I live for teh active pickups... :D

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

How have you got it wired up? When you press the switch what have you wired it up to do? Are you just disconnecting the hot wire? What you really want to do is to ground the hot wire to the amp when the kill switch is engaged.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@jimbrady57)
Topic starter  

Well... I'm not sure which is which, but Heres a picture of it...

On this circut the "B" part of the wires connection is a constant, and the "A" part is interuppted when the button is depressed. Are you saying that making the "A" part the constant, and the "B" part the part that get interupted will fix the static dilemma?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Connect both A parts (tip) directly to each other
Connect both B parts (sleeve) directly to each other
Then connect one side of the switch to the tip, and the other to the sleeve.

When the switch is activated, it will connect the signal (tip) to the ground (sleeve) and no sound will come out.
Not even hum.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jimbrady57)
Topic starter  

AHHH!! Ingenius!! Much obliged sir.

ReplyQuote