Clear all

Need help with the metronome...

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So I was just recently given a chromatic picking excersize (I know excersize is spelled wrong) and he told me a metronome would be a good idea, but I don't know how fast the metronome should be. I have tried it on all sorts of setting but I can't seem to find the right one. Can someone help me out, keep in mind I am a beginner and play fairly slow.

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Start out by setting it as slow as you can, or if that's too slow try at around 60-80 bpm. At that speed play one note per click (quarter notes), if that's too easy try moving the speed up to 100 bpm, if that's too easy go for 120 bpm.

Since you're a beginner, that would probably would be a good place to start. After you're more comfortable you could try 8th notes (2 notes per beat), triplets (3 notes per beat) and 16th notes (4 notes per beat).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

If it were me, I would start it at the slowest speed I could possibly stand. A speed where I could play every single note without making a mistake. Then I would bump it up 5bpm until i was struggling just a bit. The I would practice at that speed until it was flawless. Bump it up and go again.

Amd 1f u no exersize ids speld rong y tipe 1t tad waye. :lol:

geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well....nevermind. My metronome just stopped ticking for some reason...

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Well....nevermind. My metronome just stopped ticking for some reason...

Try a new battery or restart it. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member

A speed where I could play every single note without making a mistake.

:) How often?

I'm working on the movable major scale, currently focussing on the C major. I can play through the scale (forwards and backwards) while reciting the notes, fairly comfortable with the metronome at 60bpm, but not usually without making a mistake. Maybe once in three I play it without an obvious mistake. Most common is hitting the wrong note (getting confused with the pattern) or misfretting (especially with my little finger).

So should I speed up when I can play it virtually every time without a mistake, or when I feel comfortable at the speed (i.e. not as if i'm falling over my fingers)?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

So should I speed up when I can play it virtually every time without a mistake, or when I feel comfortable at the speed (i.e. not as if i'm falling over my fingers)?

Ohh good question Grimm. I dont think I could do that. I would get so bored if I waited until i didnt make a single mistake. Usually when I start out there is a "twinge factor". I play, whatever it is I am learning, and every time I make a horrible sound my face kind of twinges. But eventually I get it down enough that even though I make a mistake now and then, my face doesnt twinge. Thats when I move onto another part cause I figure that the final mistakes will work themselves out with the practice on the next project. Does that help?

Simply, practice it until you dont make too many mistakes and then speed it up a bit.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote