Clear all

New amp Broken?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@burrito_bob)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Went to guitar center yesterday and got a new schecter omen 6 guitar with a Marshall MG15DFX 15watt amp. This is my first electric guitar and I'm not familiar with how amps should sound, but I think mine is broken.

Sometimes it makes these popping noises out of nowehere. And the worst thing, it will just randomly crap out on me, refusing to make ANY sound. So I turn it off and turn it back on and it makes a "drumbeat" sound. The only way for it to stop is to just put the guitar down and come back 30 minutes later.

I know its not the guitar because I played the same guitar on about 5 different amps at the store and had no problems.

Am I doing something wrong or do I need to take back my amp? Is my model of amp any good to begin with or should I trade it in for a different brand? Thanks for your help.

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Have you checked the guitar cable, they usually go first...

Personally I'd trade the amp in for a Vox AD15VT. I'd also go for a 30watt but that's my tolerence level and pocketbook.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@burrito_bob)
Topic starter  

I tried messing with the cable. I unplugged it a few times, bent it, twisted it, etc. I don't think thats it. I can unplug the cable completely and the amp still makes the drumroll noise.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sounds more like the jack has got a faulty connection.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Take it back!

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Yes, I agree, just take the whole setup back and they will (should) be more than happy to take care of it.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote