Skip to content
New Member, Been pl...

Notifications
Clear all

New Member, Been playing for some time looking to improve.

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I've been searching around for a good guitar forum for a while now and I have used this site before but I didn't know that it had a forum. Well a little background on me then i guess. I'm attend Mesa High School in Mesa, Arizona. Im 16 years old and have been playing guitar for maybe 2 years. Problem with that is that I really havent been practicing a lot. I just kind of "mess around." thats good enough for now. I just have a few questions.
1) First of all im in the market for a second acoustic guitar because I really enjoy playing acoustic music. Lookin for a price between 250-350 dollars.
2) When is it nessesary to replace your strings and what are the best type. I have never replaced the strings on my guitar and ive had it for the entire time ive played my guitar.
3) Im kinda stuck right now advancing in guitar because i cant seem to find any good songs or things to play. Any advice is appriciated.

Thanks for all replies.

(@blackenedanger)
Trusted Member

I'm no advanced player, and I'm a beginner as far as skills go myself.

But depending on your guitar use I've heard changing them monthly is good.

I had my original strings on my Ibanez Stratocastor for about 2 years and when I finally replaced them with brighter, better quality strings the difference in sound was amazing.

The pros like Metallica change them daily because they play them so much. I think it really depends on your usage level.

"Into ruin, I am sinking, hostage of this nameless feeling!" - MetallicA

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

1. Seagull is popular acoustic around here. I believe they make one in that price range.
2. I change mine once a month, some people change them every week or sooner. Depends on how much you play. Yours need changing. I use D'Addario custom lights.
3. What type of music do you like?

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info guys. What type of music do I like? To play, I like almost everything maybe not so much country stlye. Most other styles i like a lot. Mostly I listen to rock, when i sit down and play rock I can get the rythm and fingerings and style easily but it still doesnt sound like the recording. Still any songs that uve learned or are learning that u find interesting, point them out. Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

How about Kris Kristofferson, he's wrote some great songs that are relatively easy to play. And they all have great melodies and lyrics. Me and Bobby Mcgee, Sunday morning coming down. Great acoustic music.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

I'm attend Mesa High School in Mesa, Arizona.

Hey another person from AZ! I live over near the new Cardinal's stadium they are building! Maybe we should jam sometime!

But to answer your questions:

1. I second the Seagull option-defintely look them up-nice guitars!

2. I change mine every three weeks. Eventually you get to the point where you can tell when your strings start dying. I use Elixir strings for my acoustic work and D'Addario 9s on my electric guitars.

3. Take a look at the Easy Song Database:

http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Two years on one set of strings! :shock: What do you think you are, a bassist? I usually change mine about bimonthly, although monthly would be a bit better. I get good results with D'addarios.

ReplyQuote
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Awesome thanks guys. Im gona go down and get some new strings like right now and look around for some guitars. thanks the songs tips to.

ReplyQuote
(@rockboy_155)
Eminent Member

For the strings i bought some xl strings. Dont buy them,they really
was not the sound i was looking for. But ive been hearing ernie ball
strings are really good :wink:

- "the whole world is a gimmic"

Rockboy_155

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dear Idiot

Sorry, but I could not resist that :D

Everyone gave good advice. Change your strings every month or two. You will love how new strings sound.

Go to the Beginners songs on this site. There are also some pretty easy songs in the Easy Song Database on this forum.

Just kidding about the name. Welcome to GuitarNoise.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Its all about DR strings. Best strings ever!

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

For electric i like Dean Markley (i think thats it, ive only bought them a few times).

For acoustic i loooove elixers. Bit more expensive but well worth it i feel.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

I have a Segull 12-string acoustic, great tone. I would highly recommend one. As far as strings I use GHS Boomers 10's or "custom gauge" on my electric depends on my mood.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

ReplyQuote