Notifications
Clear all

new & question

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kelta)
Topic starter  

Hey I'm new to this place. My brother just bought me my first guitar because I signed up for a guitar class in school (school starts in a few days). I found this place a few days after I got my guitar so I've been learning the basic cords and strumming techniques, mm I think I'm doing alright for not having anybody here to teach me. Yeah anyway, my brother wants me to try learning how to play What it's like by Everlast, it's one of his favorite songs. I looked up the tabs and some of it looks simple but other things look really difficult.. cause like I have a lot of trouble doing pull-offs and hammer-ons and theres a pull-off right at the beginning of the song. >.>

Is this song good for a beginner to learn or should I learn to play other songs before this one? :?

xkelley

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Kelta, welcome to guitarnoise :)
Pull off's and hammer on's can be tough. You have two options here:

Instead of pulling off, just play the note regularly. Or, learn to pull off better.

I'd go with choice two. It's important that you drag the string down as you pull off. It's almost as if you're plucking the string with your fretting hand.

The song will be a challenge for you, but the best way to improve is to take on big challenges. The first song I learned was Layla, it was the song that inspired me to play. Yeah, it was hard, it was a big challenge. And I couldn't play it anywhere near perfectly. But, I learned many things, and it helped me in many ways.

Don't get discouraged, it's not meant to be easy. If you find it to hard, take a break from it for a few hours or a day, work on something easier, and then come back to it.

Good luck ;)

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Good advice!
I just wanted to welcome you to the asylum for the musically insane. Enjoy your guitar!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN. As to the song, you could try it, you can only learn from it. But that means you have to learn multiple chords, how to strum, chordchanges and fret-hand techniques as hammers and pulls. Not impossible, but not the easiest task for a beginner. If you have difficulty with pulls/hammers, try to practice just that technique. Nick has a badass lesson on it somewhere on the site.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome aboard.

And yes give the song a shot but don't get frustrated with it just put it down for a bit if it gets annoying.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It's not the most obvious choice for a beginner, but you'll learn a lot from trying it.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise,
I will take a different tact.
Don't rush it and don't get ahead of yourself.
You are starting a guitar class real soon, learn some chords and practice them for a few days (we have to crawl before we can walk)
You will learn alot from class and before very long you will be able to not only play that song but just about any song you want.
Best of luck

ReplyQuote