Notifications
Clear all

newbie saying hi with a question...

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@xxrhixx)
Topic starter  

well im a newbie so i guess i should start by saying hi all! i only got my guitar about 2 weeks ago and i cant afford lessons yet (ah, the joys of a part time job in kfc :( :oops: ) so im teaching myself and i stumbled across this magical site, which has been such a good help! iv learned a few chords (A Am Bm C D E Em G) was just wondering if you knew of any popular songs that i may have heard of (only 15 so may not know some older stuff) that i could learn playing and put these chords into practice?

any help is appreciated!

rhi

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey xxrhixx, Welcome to Guitar Noise.
Try some of the beginners song lessons on the main site and have a look through the Easy Song Database forum section.

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

Time of Your Life by Green Day everyone knows that song. for the verse it is G G C D with a D, D, U, U, D U for each chord, then the pre-chorus or whatever you want to call it.. well hang on i'll do it like this:

G G C D INTRO
G G C D /

G G
Another turning point,
C D
A fork stuck in the road,
G G
Time grabs you by the wrist,
C D
Directs you where to go,
Em D
So make the best of this test,
C G
And don't ask why,
Em D
It's not a question,
C G
But a lesson learned in time...

Em G
It's something unpredictable,
Em G
But in the end is right,
Em D G
I hope you had the time of your life...

Then you just do that same stuff for the verse and you do the G G C D chord progression twice going into the second verse, its pretty simple the first song i learned. actually the first verse and chorus are picking but that's a little difficult for a beginner. Then for the little interlude he plays after the second chorus you just play the G G C D chord progression about 4 times, and that's about it. good luck, you won't regret picking a guitar up at least i don't. :D

one thing i forgot to add always keep the D, D, U, U, D, U always keep that strumming pattern the whole song.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you want to pick as on the recording, substitute the C for a Cadd9 (even simpler in this case!) and just keep the same picking pattern until he starts strumming. Live he plays a Dsus4 instead of the D.

Take a look at Coldplay's 'Rush of Blood to the Head'. Mostly E, Am, D and F IIRC, and 'Green Eyes' (mostly A, E, Bm and D). A bit easier is Oasis' Last Kiss. E, C, D and G throughout. Once asgain, IIRC.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You got some good suggestions so I will just welcome you to GN.

Enjoy your stay

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and Welcome.

You might try being creative work with the chords making up your own changes and strumming patterns, along with learning a few songs done by someone else. With the chords you wrote down really they cover a vast majority of songs out there. There also are a few idolized patterns or chord progressions that you'll find work for a number of songs. Here's a few to get you thinking and practicing.

G, C, D

D, C, G

C, Am, F, G

E, A, B

G, Em, C, D

Am, C, G, Am, Am, C, G, Am

G, Bm, C, D

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi xxrhixx, :)

There are zillions of songs out there with those chords, so you should be able to find a few to suit you. I won't suggest any as the ones I've found are all pretty ancient. Even my teacher in his mid thirties hadn't heard of some that I thought "everybody" knew! :wink:

You'll probably find quite a few with simple chords, but right hand strums and picks that are still a bit tricky. You can always use a simpler strum to begin with though.

Don't be surprised if some of the songs that you try don't sound very much like you thought they would when you play them. Just remember that you can't reproduce the sound of a whole band.

Even songs that are by a solo artist will often not sound much like you think they should when you play them. This is because we tend to remember the melody line of a song, which has often been provided by the singer's voice. The guitar part will support that well, but may not instantly sound like the song when played on its own.

Good luck with it all. :D

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

ya arjen i was just trying to keep it simple ya know for the beginning aspects thats how i learned so i figured it'd do, i've also learned it differently now so ya.

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Hi here is tab link it has many many songs just look up a song you like and you never know it may have the same chords :wink:

http://www.guitartabs.cc/

cheers

L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

house of the rising sun-can't remember who by.
wish you were here-pink floyd

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

The Animals did house of the Rising Sun. (I think it's in the database here at guitarnoise if you want the tab).
Even songs that are by a solo artist will often not sound much like you think they should when you play them. This is because we tend to remember the melody line of a song, which has often been provided by the singer's voice. The guitar part will support that well, but may not instantly sound like the song when played on its own.

This is very true. I remember before I was a 'guitar player' I was a huge Billy Joel fan (Still am his biggest ;) ) And I would sing along to all his songs (still know all the words to them all). I took a slight break from Billy, and went onto more guitar oriented rock, stuff like The Who, The Stones, Clapton, etc. When I came back to Billy, I was suddenly hearing all these guitar parts, that sounded very cool, that I had never noticed.

Anyways, just wanted to share that story, IDK why. I think I've told it before actually on this site. Haha.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Musical Madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@xxrhixx)
Topic starter  

hey...thanks for all the suggestions im about to have a look around and have a go at 'time of your life' (big greenday fan!:D)

just curious and i know it may be a lil over my head right now but whats the difference between say an E chord and and E7? and how do you figure out what the seventh is?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Ha - the poor fellow is already treading the steep and slippery slope into the netherworld of music theory. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A scale consists of 7 notes, each one being given it's number in the sequence - so the root (or tonic) is 1, the next note is 2, etc..
A major scale is made up of intervals of a wholetone, a wholetone and a semitone, a wholetone, a wholetone, a wholetone and a semitone. In the scale of C, this is C, D, E, F, G, A, B and, then, back to C.

A basic chord is made up of 3 notes (a so-called triad). These notes are taken from the first (1), third (3) and fifth (5) positions in the scale - in C, C, E, G. A seventh chord (really called a dominant seventh chord) adds, as you so rightly point out a seventh to the basic triad, but the note is flatted, giving you 1, 3, 5, 7b - in C, you get C, E, G, Bb

Because the chord structure is defined by position and not note, you can easily transfer the logic to any other key. So, in A, the major triad is A (1), C# (3), E (5) and the A7 adds a B (7b).

If you click here, the various chord structures are laid out for you.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@xxrhixx)
Topic starter  

thanks, im pretty sure i understand it now :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2