Clear all

Stroking/Strumming

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crazyistheforecast)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I tend to stroke in a diagonaled motion, rather than a straight motion. My brother (he's been playing for a year now) insists that I should be stroking in a straight up and down motion. I find that this feels awkward and I think it may have something to do with the fact that i'm left-handed. I play a right-handed guitar, so I use my right hand for strumming.

Is my diagonaled stroking unique or do other people play this way? Will this affect my playing?

I hope that makes sense.

"I started this gangsta poop."

-Michael Edward Dunlap

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am pretty much strait up and down myself but I have seen some people play just as you describe and it doesn't seem to make much difference.
Are you using your wrist to strum or your elbow?

ReplyQuote
(@crazyistheforecast)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I put a little elbow into it. I'm gonna try to break the habit and use my wrist more.

"I started this gangsta poop."

-Michael Edward Dunlap

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I'm gonna try to break the habit and use my wrist more.

Maybe I am being taught wrong, but I wouldnt break that habit. From what I have learned, it if better to be using your elbow. My instuctor tells me to think of my elbow as my personal metronome. Its my time keeper. I look at my favorite guitar player, and he is nothing but elbow.

I'd love to see more comments on it though.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I keep it loosely from the wrist. The arm isn't entirely static but isn't making the entire motion either. Never gave it much thought, seems most logical to me. Maybe some teacher like Tom can give a definite answer...

As for strumming, usually straight but I sometimes change it because I fake myself in hearing a difference.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I teach strumming motion primarily from the wrist. As Arjen noted, the forearm isn't static, but it's not where the main motion comes from.

The elbow and wrist form pivots, so the pick actually travels in an arc rather than a straight line. That line will be perpendicular to the plane of the strings at some tangent point - exactly where that is depends on how you hold your guitar.

Since I angle the neck up, my pick is moving straight across the strings towards the bass side of things, and then arcing slightly towards the bridge.. If your neck has less of an angle, this will shift towards the 'inside' strings - the third and fourth.

If you're really going at a diagonal line to the strings, you're either using a 'sawing' motion with your arm - which will get pretty tiring, and prevent you from really fast strums when you want them - or you've got the neck at a weird angle, like pointing towards the floorboards, which would make the tangent of your arc somewhere above the strings.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I teach strumming motion primarily from the wrist. As Arjen noted, the forearm isn't static, but it's not where the main motion comes from.

That's how I do it too. :)

It's always good to check out what the experts (like NoteBoat) say, because there are good reasons for the 'proper' techniques that have been developed over many years and many players.

However, having said that, it still comes down to your choice.

There's a line between doing something because you can't be bothered putting in the time to learn a better way, and making an informed choice about your own style. I try to give serious consideration (and practice) to all the 'proper' ways, but I then make my own choice.

I had some sessions with a classically trained friend and it was all "Do this, do that, DON'T DO THAT! Sit like this, DON'T PUT YOUR THUMB THERE!, hold your arm there, hold the guitar straight up and down, hold your fingers like this, DON'T TOUCH THE TOP OF THE GUITAR, use at least three of the fingers of your right hand to pluck the strings, keep your right hand knuckles parallel to the strings, etc etc.

So I searched all my books for pictures of the world's best known rock and rollers. I found EVERY SINGLE FAULT. For instance, they ALL had their thumbs where I was supposed never to put them.

Several brilliant guitarists had some fingers touching the guitar body, there was a huge range of finger positions and degrees of straightness. They all favoured different angles and positions for holding their guitar. And I didn't find one who played with his or her right hand parallel to the strings - they were all closer to 45 degrees. One of the players I admire most uses his thumb and index finger only, and so on! 8)

So I say, pay careful attention to all the experts, give their suggestions a fair trial, and then choose what you are comfortable with. :D

ReplyQuote