Notifications
Clear all

New Strings??

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@onebadskwerl)
Topic starter  

I bought an Art and Lutherie guitar in October of 2005. According to their website they use Godin 'Light' strings ( http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/Strings.htm ). Now, I figure mine probably need to be replaced at the smaller strings are losing their silver colour and going black and the low E string is corroding (some small amounts of green junk on it). My problem is I don't know what guage of strings to replace them with? I mainly play songs with chords as I'm not very good at plucking :oops: I'm also not sure what brand to buy. I've done a search of the forum and most people seem to recommend exelir strings but are they really worth 4x as much for someone as untalented as myself?

So basically I'm asking what guage and/or brand strings should I purchase (currently there are Godin Light strings on it).

Thanks!

(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

Any brand will do, but I'd stick with light guage strings for a while if you're new to guitar - they're easier on your fingers. Elixers are good, they last a long time because they're wrapped in a gore-tex sheath (that's also why they cost so much). There are other long lasting strings other than Elixers; Dean Markley Blue Steel strings are cryogenically frozen and will last you a little longer than regular strings but they don't cost anywhere near as much as Elixers. The best thing to do is try a few different brands to see what you like.

ReplyQuote
(@onebadskwerl)
Topic starter  

Any brand will do, but I'd stick with light guage strings for a while if you're new to guitar - they're easier on your fingers. Elixers are good, they last a long time because they're wrapped in a gore-tex sheath (that's also why they cost so much). There are other long lasting strings other than Elixers; Dean Markley Blue Steel strings are cryogenically frozen and will last you a little longer than regular strings but they don't cost anywhere near as much as Elixers. The best thing to do is try a few different brands to see what you like.

I don't think they have different strings 'setup' so you can try do they?

Would you agree my string probably need to be changed after 7 months of use?

ReplyQuote
(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

I don't think they have different strings 'setup' so you can try do they?

Would you agree my string probably need to be changed after 7 months of use?

I'm not sure what you mean by having different strings 'setup'. Do you mean at guitar stores? No, I've never heard of that. Interesting idea though, I'm thinking of puting together a sampler pack of different strings and offering it at a discount. I'll post again when it's set up.

Do you need to change strings? YES. The difference in how it sounds and feels to play your guitar with new strings compared to 7 month old strings is going to be enormous.

ReplyQuote
(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

I just added a sampler pack of acoustic strings to my store. This is a good way to go if you want to try out a few different brands.

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member

Don't know if anyone out there will agree, but I've found the D'adarrio EJ12's to be an excellent set! They're reasonably priced (£7) here in the uk, they are bright and warm and seem to last ages!

I've tried most others, and found Martin strings go dull after about two seconds of playing, and the 'cheaper' no-brand strings are well worth avoiding like the plague. Godin strings are excellent sound and quality - if you can get them!!! Grrrr. So, it's the D'adarrio's for me everytime!!

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member

Oops! I meant 12 gauge - EJ16.......the one's in the blue pack! Lol.

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote