Clear all

New Strings and a Problem?

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Got my guitar back from the shop Monday after having a full setup and graphite nut replacement done. During the setup I decided I wanted to try stainless steel strings after reading they would help brighten tone; the old D'Addario 10-46 didn't have the right sound to me on the higher notes. Last night was the firsat time I really had a chance to check it out, and there are a couple things "wrong" - or maybe different is a better word.

I have Dean Markley Blue Steel 10-46 installed, and the first thing I noticed was I had to work! :o Work in as far as getting chords to sound; it feels as if the action has been raised even though the tech asked before and after how it felt and what I wanted. I'm guessing its just an adjustment from nickel to stainless steel and playing did get better, but I'm still having a hard time with the open F chord. Looking at the fretboard, it doesn't seem to be any higher.

The other problem I noticed was string drag; figuring that's typical of new strings I gave them the GHS Fast Fret treatment which did help. So I played about an hour, and as I was putting things away noticed my fret-hand fingers were covered with dark gray residue.

Is this something to expect with S.S. strings?

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I can't imagine why different strings would make the action feel higher. Was the action raised when the new nut was installed?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I was putting things away noticed my fret-hand fingers were covered with dark gray residue.

Is this something to expect with S.S. strings?

Pretty much. I've started using Elixir Nanowebs on my guitars (I prefer the 12-53's for my acoustics and the 10-46's on my electrics) and I don't get the "string stripes" on my fingers anymore. I prefer the Nanowebs to the Polywebs because they seem to last a bit longer and, to my ears anyway, sound a bit brighter.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Was the action raised when the new nut was installed? That is what I was thinking, too. Is it possible that the dimensions of the new nut are higher, grooves not cut as deep as the old one? You could make a few measurements, at the 1rst/12th frets to see how high the strings are from the fret wires.

As for the residue, i do get that with some strings I use now & then. I wipe them off good after playing, & it does seem to lessen with time.

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, thanks for the input - at least I know I don't have defective strings.

I'm think I'll ride with popular opinion, the action was raised during adjustment or nut install. The luthier is a really nice guy and of course the work is under warranty. He said if I had any issues to bring it back, and he would take care of it while I waited.

Thanks again for the guidance.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Seeing as how the F is giving you trouble (I'm assuming it didn't before), it sounds like the nut needs some adjusting.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Seeing as how the F is giving you trouble (I'm assuming it didn't before), it sounds like the nut needs some adjusting.

Denny

It did give me problems before, But at least I could do it. Now its VERY difficult and I really can't hit it cleanly. I'm in agreement, and was just calling the shop to let them know I was coming back when I saw the update :)

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

At least the strings have ceased with the residue, and I do enjoy the sound. Have a 12 noon appointment tomorrow for nut adjustment. Ok, that really doesn't sound right... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I certainly hope that goes well for you.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I certainly hope that goes well for you.

Thanks Ricochet, it went better than I had hoped.

Stopped by the shop this afternoon, the tech (Tony) was just taking an a 1964 Gibson semi-hollow, light-brown sunburst with P90's. This thing was GORGEOUS!

Anyway, Tony puts my guitar on the bench and asked me to describe and show him the problem. He then took the nut out and shaved it by the width of the high E string. Reinstalled it, but he wasn't happy with how it sat. Adjusted, fit, adjusted, fit again. He finally asked me to take a look at something that had bugged him from the start. The guitar was built with a small ledge for the nut to sit on, Tony explained that was the reason it wasn't going in as smoothly and asked if it was ok to cut it off. I said sure, why not? He grinned in a way that made me a little nervous and got to work, talking to me the entire time. I feel like I've known him most of my life, and this was our third meeting. By the way he was nodding I could tell things were going well. Made his final adjustment, picked it up and plugged into a Peterson strobe tuner which was fascinating to watch. He redid the intonation, which is why he was grinning - the extra height from the ledge threw the bridge adjustments off enough to keep things from being "perfect". With the ledge removed...

He played a few Led Zepplin and Rolling Stones riffs since we'd been talking about them, then handed the guitar to me. Needless to say this is the best its felt and sounded in the short time I've had it, and I can hit the open F again. Happy, I was heading out and he said he'd be right behind me to go rehearse for a gig tonight. It finally dawned on me that the only reason he came in today was to take care of me.

Tony really made an impression on me today, and I feel like I've found a great place for guitar work. Hopefully I do as well when I look for a teacher!

http://www.octoberguitars.com/ :D

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

That's great to hear that it all worked out well. It is very hard to find a good tech, especially one that is willing to take the time & go the extra mile to make sure things are just "right". Looks like you found a "keeper"! :)

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think I've found a Keeper as well; weeks before I got the guitar I was emailing him asking about all types of work and "what if" scenarios, as busy as they are he answered every one the same day.

ReplyQuote