Clear all

New to guitar, but shouldn't be

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Quick intro. I'm Otis Bogue. A few years ago my uncle gave me a black Fender DG-11 acoustic. I've been plucking the same 6 chords since then. I'm guilty of the "busyness of life" thing, but am now becoming more dedicated to playing.

I did a search for guitar forums, hoping to find a place to learn and meet some good people who also play.

SO here I am. I'll be real quiet for a while, searching the forums for the answers to my questions before I post on them.

Overall, I'd say my biggest obstacle has been myself. I have lacked motivation to play and learn, mainly because I have been alone in the endeavor from the beginning. My dad and uncle play. But they are several states away now.

I look forward to being able to pick up my Fender and just play, just because. Getting past the point of just chord practicing is a tough part though.

"Never holster an unloaded weapon, it's just poor form." - Col. Jeff Cooper

(@alangreen)

Hi, Odie, and welcome to Guitarnoise.

Check out some of the lessons here - anything by David Hodge is well worth printing and keeping, and we've got loads of great songs studied in depth. Also have a look at the Easy Songs Database; this'll get you playing early, which is what it's all about.

Let us know how it's going, and if you're stuck on anything just shout. If we can't find the answer between ourselves on the Forum pages, we're all in trouble.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I can honestly say that this website is benefitting my skill level so far.

Certainly some of the lessons on here are great. Much MUCH easier to learn than simply getting some tab and trying to figure it out.

I'm actually learning some music, off of here.

I know it's no big news, but I'm charged up about it. :D

"Never holster an unloaded weapon, it's just poor form." - Col. Jeff Cooper

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Great, it's good to see someone enthused about a new endeavour, especially one as rewarding as the guitar. I haven't been playing long either (this time) so I can speak from recent expereice when I say it can be very frustrating, but the small victories make it worthwile.

For example, last night I picked up a chord sheet for a song I hadn't heard in years. I knew how it sounded, but had no idea of the chords or the words. For the first time since I began learning again I sat down, read the lyrics and chords from the sheet and played and sang the darned thing through. Didn't really have to think about the changes, strumming, whatever, it was just there. It wasn't stage great, mind you, but I got through it and it sounded OK (to me at least). This was perhaps the best time I've had since I picked up the guitar again. When you do that, and you will, it'll feel great. Keep motivated and keep practicing.

Take care and welcome aboard.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote