Notifications
Clear all

New to guitar (very new)

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@samuraikai)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, im totally new to the guitar world and i finally convinced my mom n dad to let me learn. I have a few questions by the way...

1. What kind should i start with? Acoustic, Electric, or Hybrid?

2. How much should i spend on my first guitar?

3. Think i'll be interested?

:D :D :D answer back!

(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

welcome to guitarnoise! and for that matter, welcome to guitar!

I've never shown guitars to a completely new guitarist before, and I have trouble recalling what I was able to notice in guitars upon my first test, so I'll talk about the other question

Electric-technically easier to play than an acoustic thinner strings, and the strings are easier to push down to the board(this is called action, more or less)

Acoustic-develops your ear, and challenges you to conquer the technical aspects of the first stages of guitar, so if you are as stubborn as I was, an acoustic is for you, since the sound is great and it's a much simpler setup(no amp, no cables, no knobs)
that's a little over-the-top, acoustics aren't as hard to play as I just made it sound

another thing, what music do you want to play? you will enjoy playing greatly if you're playing music you really love, amongst all the scales and traditional practice songs I advocate learning

and while I'm on the subject of the important things to learn, hnow do you feel about a teacher? it's priceless to have a teacher, I say this, though I am self-taught, since my learning process has been so painfully slow and aggravating under my own inadequate tutelage.

and MOST OF ALL, enjoy this instrument, practice and play, play and perform and practice, guitar can be an incredible emotional experience, if you approach it with healthy goals and a realistic mindset. It's great, but I could rave on and o-

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@samuraikai)
Topic starter  

Well im not sure, but i would love to play like bands such as hoobastank, muse, etc. Alternative i guess.

ReplyQuote
(@xtremesheep)
Eminent Member

i think u should start with an electric. i think it's easier to play at first. i started with an acoustic and i thought it was hard to play, i think the strings are harder to press down. but then i got an electric, and that was much easier to learn with. (plus you can play cool songs, and use distortion)
you can spend any amount u want, but i got my guitar for around $200 and it came with an amp, tuner, some strings, and picks. i think it's a really good guitar to start with. it's Silvertone SSL1 Session Master Guitar Combo Pack. (u can buy it at music123.com and alot of other places). well i hope this was helpful. and good luck with learning the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@samuraikai)
Topic starter  

well ive been looking through some, and ive come across these that caught my attnetion, what u guys think about these?

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=23&CollectionID=3

and

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=90&CollectionID=10

the top ones electric, and the bottom is hybrid.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you like to play bands like Muse, go for electric guitar, simple as that. You can learn anything on both, but it will be much less boring if you play what you like. Also note an 'hybrid' is basically an acoustic that you can amplify, if will never sound even remotely like an electric guitar. I suggest you either go for accoustic (and spend as much as you can on the guitar) or with electric, and not buy a electro-accoustic and waste money on being able to amplify it.

How much you should spend? As much as you can. Less then $100 is pointless, more then $5000 is silly as well. If you can give a rough budget, maybe we can recommend some guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@mig12)

I'd recommend a used fender acoustic. I played on a fender acoustic for about a year. Learning on an acoustic is really worthwile, because it builds up your fingers and gets them callused.

If you like that, then go for an electric. I vought a peavey raptor as my first electric.

I'd recommend either.

AH MULES 8TH GRADE DISTRICT CHAMPS!

I (heart) my Fender.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Playing any guitar gets you callused.

Whats your price range mate?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yup, and if you think a normal electric is too easy, just raise the action and use a .18 string set. :D

ReplyQuote
(@samuraikai)
Topic starter  

hmm, well price range is probably like 200~500

ReplyQuote
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member

Yea id say start out with an electric. WHen i started i got one of those guitar amp packs for like 180. I found it a good learning guitar however u will most likely want to upgrade in about a year or so.

ReplyQuote
(@samuraikai)
Topic starter  

well guys, i made my way to the guitar store and asked around, and i saw this guitar i wanted but i..umm forgot the brand name :cry:

anyways that guy said he'll sell me the guitar + amp for 6000 nt, thats like
171$.... so yea i think thats a good price, i havent bought it yet.

when i figure out whats the guitar brand/model ill tell u guys

ReplyQuote