Notifications
Clear all

newb stumped

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jimmytbud7)
Topic starter  

hello, im a beginner, im 24 years old, i just picked up a 2005 yamaha fg730s guitar..its not the best, but its by no means the worst guitar out there. ive been messing around for a few days(my finger tips are numb) i feel really close to nailing the song (horse with no name), the one part of the song i cant get down...is on an upstroke part, where it sounds like you pick the first three strings, then lay your hand across the strings to stop noise and repeat that twice more. can anyone guide me to what exactly is done at this part?

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

are you referring to the thwack of the strings sound?
it's a rythym thing.
where you use the fleshy part or heel of your palm to mute the strings as you strum them.
it is somewhat percussive. (not a slow appeggiated strum but a thwack strum).

metal heads call it chugging. but on acoustic guitar it ...well, I dont know if it has a name.

a good technique to learn by all.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The way I play it and I think the way David Hodge teaches it is to do the up strum and brush the strings on the way back down to stop them. I actually think he says something like "After the up strum you must come back down" so just lay the fleshy part of you hand on the strings momentarily to stop them from ringing. It is actually more of a brush with the palm due to the timing to get to the next up strum. Oh yeah, up strums are tyically just the treble strings.

AND, Welcome to GN.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@jimmytbud7)
Topic starter  

thanks for the replies, i guess it just takes a bit of practice to get that part, ill keep to it..i think i was "attempting" it right but just need some practice.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

thanks for the replies, i guess it just takes a bit of practice to get that part, ill keep to it..i think i was "attempting" it right but just need some practice.
Yup, "practice" is what you will get as an answer for a lot of questions. Of course you will also get a lot of advice/opinions on how to practice.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member

Hey there,

I have the same guitar and like it a lot. Nice choice.

Don't feel bad if you can't get it at first, it will come in time with practice (like those above me said.)

But, I'd like to point out that you can stray from what written and make it sound different, as long as it still sounds good. Of course, don't let that become an excuse for not being able to do it, still acomplish it. But if it doesn't sound right to you, try different things.

Welcome aboard!

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
(@jimmytbud7)
Topic starter  

thanks and im glad some else has my same guitar and likes it. i find it pretty easy to play already..so im excited to to get as much knowledge as i can to better my skills.

ReplyQuote