Newbie Questions

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@swbuza)
Topic starter  

Hi folks.

My first day, first post.

I'm a singer. Need a portable instrument to accompany my singing. Don't like digital piano sound and real ones are heavy to carry. I play drums, but not real great as the lone accompaniment instrument. Woodwinds and brass sort of make singing difficult. So strings. I chose a guitar and am determined to learn.

So I found a leftover Taylor 310-L30 30th Anniversary Limited Edition for cheap at a local guitar store and bought it for $750 (brand new leftover). The store owner said the guitar had been hanging around in the shop too long and he just wanted to get it sold. Anyway I am quite happy with the guitar. It was one of the best sounding guitars in the shop (and the easiest to play). There were a couple I liked better--also Taylors but somewhat out of my price range. Loved the tone of one with a cedar top.

My fingers are sore, but I actually started to build up some callouses over the last two weeks just trying out guitars in the store. I'm very SLOW to change between chords, and my short fat fingers make it a little difficult, but I just keep thinking about Roy Clark and his short, fat fingers. Bar chords are annoying so far, but I'm really still on my first day alone with my guitar. I did get an F to ring clear just once :) C,D,G,E,A basic chords ususally sound clean though.

First Question: I see various articles talking about the three-finger standard G chord and some discussion about using the pinky vs. the index finger. I'm having a hard time fretting the high E string with the pinky and getting anything more than a thunk. The other way is much easier for me. Am I right in thinking, however, that getting the pinky-method down is worth the frustration?

Next Question: Is it ok to start out playing a 5-string F chord (like 1123ox) for a while until I get barred chords figured out, or is that a bad habit? It *almost* seems like its not worth the bother to pick up the low F.

Last Question: I've heard some people say the thumb should never be used to fret the low E string. I've seen other "methods," particularly in fingerpicking, where the thumb is used to fret certain notes. Which is right and why?

Thx

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Welcome to guitarnoise swbuza!

First question: I'm not sure what discussion you're referring to, but the best way to fret a G Chord is like this. (Well, the most preferred way)

3 (Ring, sometimes Pinky, but Ring is generally more preferrable)
2 (pointer)
3 (middle finger)

Incase you havn't seen tablature yet, what those numbers mean is this.

The first 3 represents the third fret of the highest string (E), the 0 right under it, represents the open string B, the next one represents open string G, and the next string D, the 2 is the 2nd fret of A, and the 3 under that is the 3rd fret of E, the lowest string.

Second question: That is perfectly fine, even if you get barre chords down tomorrow. That F has a different sound than a barred F, doesn't sound as 'full'. However, it works great. You'll find that when you get barre chords down, you'll still use that F from time to time ,for different reasons. Right now you don't have to bother with barre chords. Most players don't start that until at least a few weeks in, sometimes a few months in, and some even later than that. It's great that you are trying them this early, it'll give you a head start.

Last question: Neither are right. There is no real right or wrong, just what works best. You'll see many videos of Hendrix playing with his Thumb, and other player as well. There is nothing wrong with it, however most of the open chords can be fingered best without the thumb. The thumb is very useful in finger picking songs (Such as Tears In Heaven) Basically, use it if it feels right. Neither is better.

Hope that helps a little,

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Am I right in thinking, however, that getting the pinky-method down is worth the frustration?

Definitely yes

Most of the time I play the G chord without the pinky but at time it is necessary to play with it. Eventually you will choose your fingering based on the chord sequence, however you will have strengthened the pinky and it is used in many other chords. The pinky fingering is used when walking from a C to a G, or at least it is much easier. It is also used to add interest to other open chords.

Play the F with the four bottom strings. As you develope your ability to play barre chords you will have the full barre option. Most player that I know play the four string F almost all of the time.

As Taso said different methods work for different people.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Use the pinky on the e string when you can, as said it gives you more dexterity when you need it. Also makes changes like to open G7 easier to do without rotating your wrist. But use both fingerings occasionally as there will be times when placing the ring finger on that string will be more convenient and necessary. For instance there is a Gsus4 chord she wants me to use in Hotel Calif that requires the index on the first fret b string. I made the mistake of using only my ring finger for the first two years and now am having a hard time changing. My teacher is very insistant! Anyway enough rambling...Do it both ways
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@swbuza)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses!

I guess I sort of figured out the pinky method for G was extremely useful when i was beginning to learn "All I Ask of You" (Webber: POTO) today. I found chords for it at ultimate-guitar.com. Anyway in the tab (well, chords really) listing, there is a quick walk from G to G6 to G7 and then to C. Is this "walking"? Anyway, that was WAY easier with the pinky method.

But I can see uses for both. I'm definitely stronger with index, middle, ring than middle, ring, pinky. But I'm working on it.

In the tab, are the following two barred chords:

Bb: x13331
F: 133211

I got the barred F working cleanly about 30% of the time, but the Bb is way harder for me.. don't know why. Some of the recommended fingerings I just simply can't reach yet. I'm doing hand stretches, but still can't reach them. I'm finding myself using 3 and 4 string alternatives just to get some meaningful form of chord when I can't otherwise reach the standard...

I'll get there. I'm having a lot of fun doing it. Keeping the stress level low and the enjoyment high.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

For Bb I use a full bar with the index and to hit the 2,3 &4 string I use a mini bar with the ring finger. Works well for me. Takes a little practice to hit the chord cleanly with no muting but comes
fairly quickly. You're then good to go up and down the fretboard say to the B at the second fret C at the third fret and so on. You do not play the sixth string as your root note is on the 5th string.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't worry about the barre chords: they are tough and take time. As for the G, do practice it with the pinky. Even if you'll never play the chord using the pinky you will need the dexterity and strength in it for other things, both rhythm and lead.

And welcome to GN ofcourse! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

For Bb I use a full bar with the index and to hit the 2,3 &4 string I use a mini bar with the ring finger. Works well for me. Takes a little practice to hit the chord cleanly with no muting but comes
fairly quickly. You're then good to go up and down the fretboard say to the B at the second fret C at the third fret and so on. You do not play the sixth string as your root note is on the 5th string.
Robbie

That's usable, but it means the ring finger is collapsed to fret the chord, and makes it practically impossible to switch between the basic chord and 7ths or suspensions quickly. If you use the 2nd 3rd and 4th fingers to play the 4th 3rd and 2nd strings you can do any number of switches easily.

Best,

A: -)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

That's interesting, Alan - I find exactly the opposite! Strange how different people's hands are.

(Maybe that's one difference between good teachers and the best teachers - only the best ones spot the differences between the way different pupils will develop?)

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Good reply Alan and I agree.. guess I was just being lazy and complacent. It seems I have gotten used to the switch from the mini bar to the minor or 7th but that is really all I have been using. I will take your advice and start to practice the other method as well.
Thanx
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

i'm going to suggest scales, the minor pentatonic is the easiest, start slowly build up speed, it will help you learn to think fast on you fingers :lol: (dorky saying I know, but its the most explanitory one!)
Then you could try the blues scale, or a chromatic scale.

With chords, you have to start easy, like, choose chords with miniumum finger changes, easiest for me was...E/A/D/C but I can't remember minor/major...

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

First Question: I see various articles talking about the three-finger standard G chord and some discussion about using the pinky vs. the index finger. I'm having a hard time fretting the high E string with the pinky and getting anything more than a thunk. The other way is much easier for me. Am I right in thinking, however, that getting the pinky-method down is worth the frustration?

Next Question: Is it ok to start out playing a 5-string F chord (like 1123ox) for a while until I get barred chords figured out, or is that a bad habit? It *almost* seems like its not worth the bother to pick up the low F.

Last Question: I've heard some people say the thumb should never be used to fret the low E string. I've seen other "methods," particularly in fingerpicking, where the thumb is used to fret certain notes. Which is right and why?

Thx

Contrary to what others have said, I would say that using your pinkie to play a G is the prefered method. Transitioning from G to C and G to G7 are probably the most come transitions there are in western music. My instructor insisted I learn that way and it has served me very well. I can play it other ways but I very seldom do.

I believe you have your F backwards it should be x03211 or XX3211, it's fine to play an F like that.

There's no right or wrong way to fret a chord, nothing wrong with using your thumb. jmo :)

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

Hey tim madsen,

Good advice, but I do have a question for myself (not trying to steal your thread swbuza) Are we talking about the major G chord? 3 fingers spanning from first to third fret?

Cause you guys are kind of confusing me, (but its my fault) so please explain, and I will quit stumbling over myself!

Thanks and good luck to swbuza,

Rag_doll

We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

3 (Ring, sometimes Pinky, but Ring is generally more preferrable)
2 (pointer)
3 (middle finger)

I copied that from Taso post but that is the g major chord, so not sure what your refering to, of course the other fingering mentioned used the pinky ring and middle fingers

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

Dude, I'm sorry I was thinking of C major :( I'm not confused anymore,

Thanks

We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote