Clear all

norwegian wood sitar riff

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know it's a different instrument, but does anyone have a tab for the sitar riffs in the Beatles' song "Norwegian Wood" that I could play on my acoustic guitar? It doesn't sound that difficult, and I figure I could just play close to the bridge to get that "twangy" sound. Any help would be appreciated. While I wait, I'll learn the rhythm part :P

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Why don't you try picking it up by ear?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

The sitar is copying the initial guitar riff and you can actually incorporate it into the rhythm part with a little practice.

The song's in E but most people play it in D with a capo on the second fret. The notes are, taking the capo into account:

A (2nd fret, G string), B (hammer to 4th fret), A, G, F# (4th fret on D)

E, G, F#, D

C (3rd fret on A), G, B, A

If you want to make it even cooler, put your capo on the ninth fret and play in G. Again taking the capo into account, it would be:

D (3rd fret on B), E (hammer to 5th fret), D, C, B

A, C, B, G

F, C, E, D

This version on the ninth fret is even more fun with an open G tuning to make all six string ring out whenever possible.

Hmmm... sounds like something I should do a lesson on... :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you, Mr. Hodge! (should I smile stupidly because the great teacher responded to my question? ok! :D ) I'm gonna try that right. . . after I do my homework. :(
Hmmm... sounds like something I should do a lesson on...

I would love to have a lesson on that song. You're great at making things easy to understand. Thanks for the "riff" (is it called that with a different instrument?)

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You're quite welcome. "Riff" is pretty much a generic term and can be used to describe a signature group of notes for just about any instrument. For whatever reason, jazz players prefer the term "lick."

As for "great teacher," well, thanks for that, but I'm pretty mucj just a guy with a guitar... :wink:

I'll see what I can do about making a lesson of this sometime in the summer. In the meantime I'd like to thank (and echo) DemoEtc for his advice as well because that's pretty much how I've learned most of the things I know! :wink: Don't be afraid to try to sound things out. Even if you don't get it totally right, you'll be working on developing your ear and that's going to be more useful to you than just about anything at some point.

Be seeing you on the boards.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member

Dave please do a lesson for Norwegian wood. I would love to hear your version!

"The whole purpose in life is to not be bored"

ReplyQuote