Clear all

Octaves and tuning

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Most sites agree on what standard tuning is EADGBE and what Drop D is and what Open C is and etc. But is there a set octave these notes have to be in?
I've been tuning off my keyboard and have my guitar in C1, G1, C2, F2, A3, D3, which is an octave lower than what they have in the Powertab editor. Is that bad?

(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So when I open up the guitar setup in PowerTab I should tune an octave lower than what they have? Is that what you're saying?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Tune your guitar so that the 5th fret of the high E is tuned to 440Hz (Concert A).

Middle C, in standard notation, is on the first ledger line below the treble staff.

For guitar, middle C is shown as being in the space above the middle line of the treble staff

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Guitar score uses standard treble clef, methinks, with middle C being one leger line below the staff. When you play, the sound is one octave down from what's written and it's done that way to prevent having to write standard notation on the grand staff.

Or did I completely misunderstand the question?

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Guitar score uses standard treble clef, methinks, with middle C being one leger line below the staff. When you play, the sound is one octave down
Perhaps I'm being overly pedantic, here, but middle C, one octave lower, is no longer middle C, just as Concert A one octave lower is no longer Concert A.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Guitar tunings do have to match set octaves - otherwise your strings will be too floppy or they'll break. The problem might be the designation of the octaves.

The way octaves are named in academic texts is from C-B in each octave. The octave beginning with middle C uses a lower case letter and one line (c' d' etc) or the number one (c1 d1). The next octave higher is the 'two line' octave - c'' d'' or c2 d2.

Moving down, the octave below middle C is just lower case letters (c d e), and the octave below that is upper case (C D E). If you need to go lower, you double the letters... CC DD EE, and then triple them CCC DDD EEE.

So in the standard notation system, a guitar is tuned from E-e' (or E-e1)

Not everyone follows this system, though... PowerTab doesn't - they number the octaves so middle C (c') is C4. Your keyboard may use a different method too.

For standard tuning, you want:

high E - the E note in the middle C octave (two keys to the right of middle C)
D, G, B - match the octave below middle C
A, low E - match the second octave below middle C

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

For standard tuning, you want:

high E - the E note in the middle C octave (two keys to the right of middle C)
D, G, B - match the octave below middle C
A, low E - match the second octave below middle C

I've been tuning according to this picture:

Which seems to be what you described.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that's exactly right.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote