Oh them barre chords

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It may be that my guitar needs some work. Its not that I cant make the full F barre, but when I do the guitar sounds a little out of tune. Its possible I am pressing to hard, making the note go sharp. But it doesnt sound in tune..

The other part of it is just not nailing it every time.. which is just practice.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It may be that my guitar needs some work. Its not that I cant make the full F barre, but when I do the guitar sounds a little out of tune. Its possible I am pressing to hard, making the note go sharp. But it doesnt sound in tune..
I think that sometimes I press too hard as well. My thumb does have a minor issue, but even a simple A chord using three fingers sounds whacked out on any guitar I have unless I really make sure I press them just right. Perhaps I'm bending them some too. Either way, I have to be mindful.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The F chord has been a thorn in my side for the last week ... a song I am working on uses it extensively.

Last night I tried tuning my guitar down a step and then capo'ing the first fret. It made a world of difference.

I don't think my guitar is set up bad at all... but the extra fraction of a millimeter his made forming the chord so much easier.

Is this an okay way to do it for now? Does it mean I need some setup on my guitar, or just more strength/practice forming the barre chord?

this is a pretty good indication that the string height at the nut is too high and should be adjusted. reverse fret your guitar's low E at the third fret (meaning press down on the other side of the third fret, toward the bridge instead of on the "normal" side toward the nut). now check the clearance of the low E above the first fret. you should just barely be able to see a gap between the string and the crown (top) of the first fret. in fact, if the nut is adjusted correctly, it is often visually difficult to tell there is any clearance, but you can confirm there is by tapping the string right over the first fret. if there is a minuscule clearance, you will feel and hear a metal-on-metal 'click'. perfect! however, if the clearance is visible and measures 0.5 mm or more, the nut probably needs adjustment.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2