On recordings

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Following the Trevor's advise I was recording myself yesterday. Practically I wasted all the afternoon for my first 1 minute and 35 seconds blues.

First I recorded the lead part. Quite challenging and fun. I was playing with a metronome this week but it is not the same. Around six or seven takes were needed. I used to make the error in the last bar! :lol:

Then, the rhythmic part. Only A7, D7 and E7 chords and the quick change. Even more challenging trying to follow myself in the lead part. Several takes and several tests with the Zoom looking for a good sound. I'm not happy. I think I can improve it.

And finally the drums and some "effects" with the GarageBand. The funniest thing!

Nuno

PS. Trevor, thanks again! :D

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I think you might want to revert that, rhythm first and lead later. Any chance of us getting to hear something soon? :D

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I have always had the best luck when I record the drum track first . It is usually just a basic beat without fills or any other frills added except maybe a little different rhythm for the chorus part . It helps me feel the music rather than interpret a visual cue ( metronome ) . Music is foremost a sonically oriented medium despite what MTV and VH1 would have us believe . Then , as Sleutelbos says , I would go with rhythm and then lead .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have always had the best luck when I record the drum track first

Me too - then the rhythm guitar, then the bass, then the vocals and finally the lead breaks; but hey, each to their own

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Just let everyone hear you now matee

And keep your recordings , like I ssaid in that post I can't play for poop ...

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just let everyone hear you now matee
:lol: :lol:

My girlfriend was hearing and she said it sounds great but I think it is the love... you know :roll:

My goal was to hear myself now and in a couple of months, but, yes, I think I could share it. BTW it is not an original tune, it is in a guitar book, what about the copyright? Can I upload to the internet?

I don't like the "tone". I used a patch which is too many overdrived or distorted. Yesterday I was testing several configs with other modellers and effects but I'm not happy yet.

Yesterday I also changed the order and played the lead over the rhythm and it is easier! Really I didn't know the correct order, I used a metronome for the solo and then I added the other parts. Thank you very much to everybody for the advice! You are great! :D

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Practically I wasted all the afternoon for my first 1 minute and 35 seconds blues.

I remember the first time I recorded myself; it was a little 12-bar blues as well. And, yeah, I think it ended up being a whopping 50 seconds long, and I spent a whole day on it! Between getting the recording gear working and playing without messing up every 5th note, it took forever. But trust me, it only gets better every time that you'll do it from here on out!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote