Clear all

one single buzzing note... please help

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Every other note on the guitar has played fine except the 13th fret of the high e string.... I did notice this once before but it hasn't been an issue until now ... today I was obsessed with learning Baker Street (a favorite since the first time it came out ) - and the solo riff prominantly features that damm buzzing note - please help!
... I did try rolling my fingers, using different fingers and playing the other notes on that fret ... is it my guitar? Can I fix it or does it need a guitar doctor :(

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Fret the note very carefully and then pick it with your ear close to the guitar. Where is it coming from? You may have to do this a few times and move your ear around the guitar listening for where you think it's loudest. If it's the guitar it could be the string rubbing a fret (maybe because you are picking too hard), the bridge buzzing (something's loose), maybe the tailpiece (again something loose or maybe the string isn't seated well), or even the string getting old. Once you think you know where it comes from can you make it stop (e.g. touch the bridge and see if the buzz stops) to help verify the source. Find the source of the buzz before anybody can be of more help.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for your reply! ... mmm... the buzz seems to be coming from the fret itself - is that possible? If I press really hard that seems to help.
Also the string seems to bend at this fret quite easily and there is less buzz but then it's a different note :(
The 12th and 14th frets ring true with a bit of sustain (for an acoustic of course) and this one note buzzes, weak sound with no ringing aftertone and very hard to nail down an exact pitch.
The reality is the B string doesn't play so hot at the 13th fret either but the problem is most obvious with the high E string.
I tried sliding the string up and down the fret a bit cuz I felt like taking a nail file to the fret or something, that little bit of wear seems to help but I could be deluding myself ...
... I also notice I didn't get a wrench for my guitar like Guitar for Dummies tells me I should - maybe I should be calling the shop where I got the guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK after going thru the Baker Street 'solo' for the 20th time ( I LOVE that song), I finally figured out the problem - I think - when I fret the 13th fret of the high e string with normal pressure it actually touches down on the 14th fret and sounds that note (badly).
So I have either bend the string slightly towards me with extra pressure to get the note - which doesn't work very well - or push right down at the fret which gives that annoying buzz.
Right now I'm dealing with it by just glossing over the bad note as fast as possible ... cuz I can't stop playing Baker Street :roll: ... but any further help would be greatly appreciated!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Just a guess but it sounds like you need to raise the string at the bridge.
I believe it is what's called "raising the action". At least that's what I've read.
(I lowered the action on my guitar so it took less pressure to fret the strings)
It could also be because your fretboard is arched too much?? (just a guess)
But wait 'til you hear from some of the more experienced players.

As if I knew what I'm talking about,
Ken

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

Hi,

I had an not too dissimilar problem with my acoustic last year. A wee tweak of the truss rod and it was fine. Maybe take it to your local friendly guitar shop and let them have a look.

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote