Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Dull E & A strings - any recommendations?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a steel string acoustic and have noticed that the last two sets of strings I have bought sound sound very dull on the lowest two strings. Very soft with no bite. (I cant remember what the strings that first came with it sounded like because I had all sorts of other issues related to my level of competence :? ).
I want to get some strings that sound a bit brighter & sharper - at least as much as can be expected given that they are low notes.
Is there a brand or type that I should look out for?
Thanks for your advice
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

(@Anonymous)

Maybe you got nylon strings? :lol:

Sorry I can't be of any help :?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I want to get some strings that sound a bit brighter & sharper - at least as much as can be expected given that they are low notes.
Is there a brand or type that I should look out for?
Thanks for your advice
Ola
What brand/type are you using now?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I bought my guitar recently and was using the strings that came with it - dont know what they were called. When I noticed the problem, I thought it was because i had not changed the strings since new so I bought a new set. They are called LEEM (made in Korea) and the specs are .053 (E) and .042. They sound just as dull as the old ones.
Cheers
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I realize that every beginner has the inclination to get the least expensive no-name strings they can (I did it too), but do yourself a favor and get a full set of name brand strings (D'addario is my preference, but that's a personal thing).

Also, 80/20 bronze strings are said to sound brighter than phosphor bronze, which are said to sound warmer.

If this is a new guitar (or at least new to you), and replacing the strings didn't help the sound, maybe there's something else wrong?
Perhaps at the nut or saddle?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote