Notifications
Clear all

Strumming Woes..

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@frust-rated)
Topic starter  

I been playing guitar for about twenty years,but the most i know is three blind mice,if i remember it,,,,I recently picked it back up again (about two months now) with serious intentions of becoming pretty good,,Now i have been learning some Bowie not too good at that,, pinball wizard,,,hmmmsokay,,I would say maybe im an intermediate beginner if theres such a thing,,,,
PROBLEM....
When im strumming the high E string seems to twang more than I would like..i tried strumming with edge of my thumb sounds not tooo tooo bad,,back of my nail string gets louder obviously,,,Pick,,TWANG TWANG TWANG,,What can i do...
It seems like i cant get a handle on this never bothered me before but now its driving me nutzo,,Is there a certain way i should be strumming,,, like start the strum but dont go all the way through with it...But if i do that then i wont get the true chord sound .......THOUGHTS anyone :cry:
Thanx Steve...

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hi Steve and welcome to Guitar Noise

First of all, it is very normal to have problems strumming guitar. Strumming is something that you think you will never get right, and then suddenly it seems like the easiest thing in the world. I think every player has trouble strumming at first.

As far as avoiding that high E string that is irritating you, try simply strumming all downstrokes at first. Try to get a nice even tone out of your strings.

When strumming you do not flail your hand around, it is really a very controlled thing. Keep your strumming hand close to the strings. It helps to gently rest the edge of your hand just behind the bridge. When you downstroke, try gently raking the pick over all the strings at first to get the feel.

One misconception I think that causes problems is that many believe you always have to strum all 6 strings. This is not so, and often on the upstroke you only catch the bottom one or two. For instance, when I strum a G chord, I am kinda hitting the strings like this:

G

e-------3--------3-----3-
b-------0--------0-----0-
g-------0--------0-------
d-------0----------------
a-------------------2----
e-3-----------3----------

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

You see on the first downstoke all I hit is the bass G note. Then a gentle downstoke on beat 2 across the bottom four strings only. On beat 3 I hit the bass G note only again. On the upstroke I catch the bottom three strings only. On beat 4 the B note on the 5th string only, on the upstoke I only catch the bottom two strings. You see, I really don't care if I get one, two, or three strings on the upstoke, it doesn't matter really. What matters is getting a good even feel to the strumming. Trying to play all 6 strings, especially on the upstroke will usually cause you to strike the strings quite hard, this is why your high E string is ringing so loudly. You just kinda skip over the strings gently coming up, and don't worry how many strings you hit. You will hit a different number each time. Doesn't matter if your strumming sounds nice and even.

Hope that helped a little. :D

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@frust-rated)
Topic starter  

I can see your point,,when im coming up the strings i catch only the first few,,Its the downstrum,,the high E,it seems its not part of the chord so to speak,,if i could take the high E string off,it would sound better,,if that kinda explains anything... LOL...Example if im using that string for a chord its fine,,,If im playing a chord and that string is left open,,,it sounds like it is being singled out and its twang lasts longer than the chord does....Especially with a pick
Steve..

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Steve

Well, you don't have to always hit the high E string. Fact is, I usually do not strike the high E string when playing chords, I will often stop short. Again, I don't worry about how many strings I hit at all, never enters my mind. I just try for a smooth even feel.

Like I said, try resting your hand gently behind the bridge and use wrist motion to strum. Practice very gently raking downward across the strings. There really isn't much force to it. On the upstrokes, try coming in on the middle strings if the high E is irritating you. Could be the nut is a little wide which will cause a string to shimmer with a very annoying metallic sound. But it could also be you are kinda forcefully yanking your hand up striking this string extra hard. You have to learn to strum with a very relaxed, light touch. As you get better you will be able to strum harder for accents and such.

Don't give up, that is the only mistake you can make. If you stay at it, you will get good. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@frust-rated)
Topic starter  

Thanx for your input on this,I have been trying to come down short,trying not to hit that string,,but to no avail,ill try resting my hand like you said and see what happens,,I guess the more i practice im sure ill be able just to strike 2-3-4-strings on command when i strum :D
another point if you want to touch on this is,,if i strum a C chord,,,It dosent matter where i put my fingering,and i think i get my index finger square or even a little forward of the high E,,but it seems it just touches ever so slightly that DAMNED E string giving it a little extra twang :lol: could the neck of the guitar be too small,strings not far enuf apart for my digits,or shouldnt really matter,,,I think maybe because im trying to relearn after 20 years and that im a bit older now,i maybe a bit too critical on myself wanting everything to be perfect so to speak....
Steve....

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

If you're not entirely happy with the sound of that high E string (and assuming you're happy missing out the sound if it full stop) you can always tweak your fingering of chords so that it mutes the adjacent high E string. In much the same way if I play an A major chord my thumb wraps around and "damps" the low E string to stop it ringing. I only ever aim to hit the other 5 strings and 98% of the time I do, but every now and then if I catch the string it keeps it quiet. :)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That does sound odd about your high E string. Still, when strumming, I agree with Wes that you don't have to hit 'em all. I find it better to mix it up a bit.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote